Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet Handle Question

Hello all,

I have a toilet that has not been flushed in abour a year. I can no longer move the lever to flush it, it appears to be corroded enough to freez it up. Also the nut on the inside of the toilet holding the handle on is also corroded enough that I'm afraid to apply too much pressure without breaking the porclean. Any suggestions on how to get that off would be great.

Kaula

Another expense but not much. Go to a home depot and get a Dremel tool with several abrasive discs. Oh yeah, get some safety glasses too! Now assemble the tool with a disc and cut away the nut. Get a replacement handle assembly and install according to instructions packed with the handle.

Comment

Probably the real reason you cant turn the nut on the flush handle is because toilet flush handle mount nuts are reverse threads. Turn it the opposite direction you would normally turn an nut.

You should be able to hold the handle steady with a pair of channel lock pliers, then turn the nut with a second pair of channel locks or an adjustable wrench.

Most of the nuts are made of a cheap pot metal and if it won't turn off, the nut should break fairly easy.

If you can't get it off that way, you can cut the nut with a mini-hacksaw.

Comment

Thanks for the answers, I'll let you know if I blow up the toilet

Comment

Working...
        X
        =