Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaky toilet

Hello, I have a problem with a leaky toilet. The water just keeps on running after it is flushed. I thought it was the rubber flapper being old and I have already replaced the rubber flapper and it still runs. Anybody have an idea how to solve this? Thanks in advance!

Obviously something is preventing the flush valve flapper from seating correctly.

Take the lid off the tank and flush the toilet while watching the action.

1. Make sure the flush handle arm is going back down to its at rest position when the flush handle is released.

2. Examine the flush handle to flapper chain. When properly installed there should be about two links of slack in the chain. If the chain is too long the excess chain gets pulled into the flush valve as the water drains out of the tank, then the excess chain prevents the flapper from seating correctly.

3. If you have a ring mount flapper ( a rubber ring surrounding the standpipe) make sure the flapper is positioned correctly.

4. Watch the flapper to make sure nothing is interfering with its motion as the water drains from the tank.

5. Check the water level to make sure it is not overfilling and the excess water spilling over the top of the standpipe. If its overfilling adjust the fill valve float to lower the water level. (The should be a "water level" index mark printed or embossed in the tank wall.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =