Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tub Removal

This might be a stupid question, but how do i remove a tub? it looks like a basic install grout around the edges, never done this before.

First of all, let us put everything in perspective here. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask because it is much simpler and definitely more cost effective to answer a question than fix a mistake.

Now to answer your question.

The flat top part of a tub is called the tub apron, and normally their is a raised lip about 3/4" to 1" high on the back and ends of the tub apron. Some tubs have predrilled holes through the apron lip (Normally on fiberglass or vinyl tubs) and others have metal clips that attach to the lip.

While it is not always done, i personally prefer to install a wooden support that will fit directly under the tub apron. Carefully check to make sure the supports are level or perhaps just a slight pitch toward the front of the tub which would divert water away from the wall. The tub is then set into place and screws are run through the mounting holes or metal clips to attach the tub to the studding.

If the shower enclosure is to be tiled the plumbing code requires installing cement backerboard until the end and back walls are at least 72" above the finished drain height of the tub.
    The bottom edge of the backerboard should be even with the top of the lip on the tub apron. The bottom tile is then installed so it will extend over the lower end of the backerboard and should be positioned about 3/8" to 1/2" above the tub apron.

After the tile is grouted the seam between the wall and the tub apron is then sealed with silicone tub/tile caulking which will provide a flexible joint in the event there is any movement in the tub from the weight of water and occupant.

A vinyl or fiberglass enclosure should be installed in the same manner. The reason for leaving the backerboard elevated in this manner is to prevent the possibility of water being leached up into the wall material if the caulking joint should happen to fail.

To remove a tub you would first need to remove the bottom row of tiles or the fiberglass or vinyl enclosure to expose the tub apron lip. You can then remove the drain connections from the tub, remove the mount screws and pull the tub out.

In the case of case iron tubs which can be very heavy and awkward to handle we othen use a sledge hammer to break the tub into smaller more managable pieces.

NOTE: Cast iron is very strong but it is a brittle metal and will break if hit with a hammer. Be very careful when breaking a cast iron tub because the porcelan will shatter into extremely fine glass like shards that are very sharp. Goggles, Heavy leather gloves and hearing protectors are stongly advised for this job.

Comment

The first thing i thought when i begain to consider this project was the "finnishing hammer" (sledge) but i will try to remove it first. it is a porcilin tub. I am going to just put in a stand up shower and a glass swing door to replace it. I am sure as this project progresses i will have more questions, but thank you for your help.

Comment

Be care here..A tub/shower only has a 1-1/2 drain line, but a shower stall requires a 2" drain line.

Comment

ok, it would not be a big issue for me to change this since my house is built up on piers, but do you think it is worth the trouble?

Comment

There are many pro's and con's to be considered before removing a tub/shower and replacing it with a shower stall. One of the first things you would want to consider is how long you intend to stay in this house. While a shower stall may fit your lifestyle much better, you must also consider the end effect on the property value. For reasons totally unknown to me, when a bathroom has a tub/shower, even if the shower tub/shower is extremely small, for real estate listing purposes it is still classified as a bathroom whereas if it only has a shower and no tub it is classified as a 1/2 bath.

If the house only has one bathroom and if that bathroom is then downgraded to a 1/2 bath it greatly diminishes the resale value.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =