Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plumbing drain question

Try to picture this...there is a shower and a closet beside each other, the drains about 3' apart. I have a 9.5" deep area 24" wide from side to side to fit the drains. This is under the 2nd floor subfloor, and the drains are about center of that space. I installed a ell under the closet flange, then a reducing wye, then another ell turning down into the 2x6 wet wall and stubbed the 3" pipe into the wall to carry into the crawl space later. I ran the shower (2") from the trap to the reducing wye downstream of the closet drain. I then installed a reducing tee in the 3" pipe in the wall directly below the ell and vented from there back up and under the subfloor to the opposite side were I'll carry through the roof. Then carried the 3" pipe into the crawl space for later. Does this sound good? I dry fitted everything, then a friend of mine(retired inspector) stopped by and said it was good, so I glued it all. If this sounds wrong please tell me, as well as the best way to fix.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I must admit that it took me a few minutes and a bit of doodling on my scratch pad before I sorted it all out but i finally got it all figured out and it sounds correct to me.

Here is some addtional information that may help you as you continue on this project.

PVC and ABS glue joints are called "slip fittings"

While PVC pipe and fittings are not permitted for water supply "Distribution" within a structure it is used for water "Supply" Piping. (Supply piping is underground pipes from the well or municipal water main to the house "main Shutoff valve"). Pipe and fittings used for supply piping are pressure fittings and you will note that all elbows and Tee's have hard 90 deg. turns.

PVC fittings used for drainage systems are classified as "DWV" or "Sanitary" fittings and they will always have a sweeping radius curve or as in the case of a "WYE" they have an angled input at the change in direction.

in order to make identification easier all Supply Pressure fittings are classified as Elbows or Tee's and the angle is expressed in degrees. Thus a Tee, 90 deg. Elbow, 60deg Elbow, 45 deg Elbow, etc.

In order to insure that no one will confuse the two types of fittings DWV (Drain, waste & vent) or "Sanitary Fitting" changes in direction will always have a slight radius curve and are classified as a fraction of a circle. Thus a DWV fitting that makes a 90 deg. change in direction would be classified as a 1/4 bend while a 45dg change is an 1/8 bend and a 22.5deg change is a 1/16th bend.

IF all the openings on a fitting are the same size the fitting is simply identied by the overall size, I.E. a 3" Wye would be a Wye fitting inwhich all three openings are 3".

When you need a Wye or Tee inwhich one or more of the openings is a different size the sizes are expressed in the order of INPUT, OUTPUT and SIDE OPENING. Thus a Tee that is used to join a 2" pipe to a 3" stack would be a 3"x3x2" DWV Tee.

A "Street" Fitting will have a Female Hub on the input end and the output end will be a male fitting that will fit directly into a hub on the next fitting.

Comment

It sounds right to you.......Thats great!...I'm so glad to hear you say that. Thanks for the fitting explanations , and all the advice that got me to this point.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =