Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing hot water tank in crawl space. O.K?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing hot water tank in crawl space. O.K?

I am trying to utilize all available space in our 800 square foot home. I have to replace the hot water tank. I have a fairly dry insulated 5 foot crawl space. It's very tempting to put it under the house. If I enclose tank in a small "room" of it's own, do you think I'll encounter any problems?

Thanks for your views

Camster

What sort of problems??

Comment

What type of water heater is it? Electric or Gas? There are clearance requirements, especially for a gas unit that you must adhere to. Below is a link that has some generic requirements and the specific ones will be listed on the tanks manufacuteres name plate. Most require at least a 16" clearance overhead.

Comment

Thanks Both for replying.
        The hot water tank will be electric.
        I wonder if corrosion of the heater would advance before it's time because the crawl space is not heated. Hopefully by then I'll have built an addition.
        I'll check on the clearance specs.

Thanks alot
        Camster

Comment

Given that electric water heaters do not produce cumbustion gasses and require no venting, they can be installed at any convenient point in the home, whether in a closet,utility room, attic, basement or crawlspace, however they must be installed in an immediately accessible location.

The must meet all the water plumbing specifications I.E. a full bore shutoff valve on the cold water supply line, Unions within 12" of the top of the storage vessel on both the hot and cold water lines, Dielectric couplings when connecting to copper water lines, T&P valve must be piped outside the structure or terminated in an approved indirect waste receptor, and when installed on wood floors or floors that can be damaged by water they must have approved drip pans with a drain pipe.

If there is no direct "Line of Sight" from the water heater to the electrical service panel supplying the water heater, you must install an electrical service disconnect in the near proximity of the water heater.

When installed in an attic, basement or crawlspace there must be a minimum of one light fixture and one standard 120v 15amp convenience outlet in the immediate vicinity of the water heater. (This is to permit servicing the unit.)

There must be a minimum of 24" assured clearance in front of the water heater to permit access to service the heating system. (Check you local codes because many codes require 36" minimum access and 24" on all sides for service access.

Comment

In regard to your question about corrosion,,Depending upon the humidity conditions in the crawlspace you may see some premature rusting of the outer skin of the water heat, which is also often seen when water heaters are installed in garages, basements, attics or unheated utility rooms. Aside from being a bit unsightly, that light rusting on the outer skin will have no adverse effect on the opeartion or longevity of the waterheater.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =