Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty Trim Rings

I've got a double sink vanity. After replacing the tail piece on one sink I noticed the rust all over the trim ring that covers the opening where the 1/2" copper line comes through the wall. What would cause these rings to both be rusty (on the hot & cold)? The rings on the other sink right next to it are shinny. There is no evidence of any leaking on the rusty rings.

Also the 1/4 turn shut-offs have the compression fitting to the 1/2' pipe istead of being sweated on. Which do you like, sweated or compression?

The appearance of rust on the escutcheon rings is quite common because most of the trim rings commonly sold in the big box home supplies and local hardware stores are made of a very cheap stamped metal with a very low grade chrome plating.

The make some replacement trim escutcheon rings that are two piece and will open to slip around the pipe and snap together making it possible to replace them without removing the angle stops.

I personally prefer to use the compression type angle stops because there is no risk of damaging the wall with a soldering torch and the compression type can be easily removed to change out. When changing a compression type valve, loose the mount nut and slip the old valve off, then slip the new valve in place and secure with the old nut. In this manner you don't have to try to pry the old compression ferrules off the pipe.

Comment

Thank you very much for the information.

Fred

Comment

Working...
      X
      =