Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different types of caulk???

I have a question about some types of caulk.. Well the tub and tile type seems to be real spongy and comes off quickly.. Question is can I use an outdoor type of caulk; because it seems that the out door calk is more elasticy "is that a word?" Oh I forgot to state that this for a tub surround.

Please help

Pj[}]

Silicone based caulks whether white or clear are normally used around tubs because they are flexible when dry and are somewhat strippable. Outdoor caulks tend to harden to the point stripping them is a problem. Theory is once in place they stay!

Comment

If you are having a problem with silicone TUB & Tile caulk coming loose the problem is not the caulking. The problem is the surface of the tub or fixture is not adequate cleaned and free of soaps or oils before applying the caulking.

Comment

Cool The type of caulk I just bought is silicone based. The other tub and tile caulk
        i dont think was silicone based it seemed kinda porus "sp."

Comment

You should use a caulk labeled as "tub and tile" or "kitchen and bath". These will have mildew resistant additives. Regular door and window caulks will stain and mildew.

I like the easy application of Dap Quickseal.....water clean up. Others prefer Polyseamseal. A 100% silicone tub and tile is probably the best caulk, but not user friendly ( solvent clean-up).

Comment

Latex caulking?

I think that is what I have now, and it is no good.
            The regular bar soap can't be left on it. The caulk "grows and expands"
            Has anyone else had this happen ?

Comment

I would clean the joints well and apply Polyseamseal.
              I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
              Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
              Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
              Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =