Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem flushing toilet

As I flush my toilet, the water rises slightly in the bowl, swirls around, but doesn't flush away normally. The water slowly drains down to normal height after a minute or so. I've replaced the ballcock and float already. I've plunged until I'm red in the face. Nothing.

Then I happened to be experimenting and while in the middle of the attempted flush, as the water is spinning around in the bowl, I poured about a gallone of water into the spinning water and it all flushed away normally. So there doesn't seem to be a clog problem.

The good people at Home Depot suggested I might have a blockage in the exhaust pipe going out through the roof. I tried putting water down the exhaust pipe with a hose, thinking it might clear out the pipe. No apparent change.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

Hmm this is interesting...

Now if I'm reading this right you might have whats known as "a slow flush". This is caused by a buildup of limescale in the water channel under the rim of the bowl partially blocking the holes. Get a small mirror and flashlight to inspect the holes if you find limescale in the holes use a small flat bladed screw driver to remove it, careful don't chip the bowel!. If your bowel has a syphon hole (at the bottom of the bowel) check that for buildup as well. Now I'm sorry to say there isn't a magical cure for this problem if the toilet is old and you live in a hard water area you might have to replace it, as the buildup might be beyond help.

Sorry to be a doomsinger,

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =