Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eliminating tub installing shower instead

how difficult is this job? the tile around the tub is falling off and the studs are exposed, would it be more practical to try to fix tile get a tub surround or a shower replacement?
    any info will be greatly appreciated. thanks, katie

In my experience if you are having problems with the tile the problem is not the tile but rather the it is damage to the substrate material behind the tile.

I have seen people who had limited success with removing a section of tile and replacing it, but in most cases, at best it ends up looking like a piecemeal patch job.

In turn, i have seen people install an acrylic or fiberglass tub surround directly over the damaged tile, and in the end the tile will continue loosing, often portions falling down between the wall and the back side of the new surround and creating a real mess.

In my humble opion, regardless of what type of wall surface you plan to finish with the proper method to handle the situation is to first completely remove all the existing tile and substrate material back to the bare stud wall. In most cases this will also prove to be the quickest and most cost effective method.

Once you have the walls opened up you can also add insulation or replace any existing insulation that may have been damaged by water.

This is also a good time to upgrade the shower mixer or any other plumbing that may be concealed behind the finished wall.

You may also take advantage of this opportunity to add additional wiring for overhead lighting, fans or heating units and install new exhaust ductwork if necessary.

When you get ready to replace the walls in the tub surround area, the plumbing codes prohibit installing water resistant sheetrock in the tub surround until the wall is 72" above the elevation of the finished drain.

The plumbing code requires that your first install a water resistant membrane (housewrap or plastic sheeting) then install concrete backerboard.

While not yet listed in the National Model Plumbing Codes, many local codes have adopted the KERDI SYSTEM, which uses water resistant sheetrock which is then covered with the Kerdi waterproof membrane system. (Check your local code officials before proceeding with this). I will say that the Kerdi system has proven to be a very reliable method and is presently one of the preferred methods used by many reliable tile installers. My personal caution here is that if you elect to use the Kerdi System be sure to have it installed by a pro who is properly trained in how to use this system correctly.

The choice of whether to finish out your shower enclosure with tile or an acrylic or fiberglass surround is merely a matter of personal taste and what your budget will permit. Personally, i chose fiberglass for my home, but then I know how to repair or completely refinish fiberglass if necessary so for me it was a no-brainer. But then, this is my home, and one that I intend to spend the rest of my days in, so I did not have to consider what the trends of the industry or resale might dictate.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =