Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basement tub question

Hello all!

I'm installing a tub in my basement which has a rough-in. There is a 2" (horizontal) PVC pipe (capped off) ready for me to tap into.

After I put in a trap and connect the drain and overflow, do I need to seal it all off (floor level) with concrete or should I leave it open for maintenance? Or possibly make a little pit with concrete walls?

Should I be using a PVC trap or can I use a regular 1.5" trap (the thinner kind that's typically used for say kitchen sinks)?

Thanks for any help!

Matt

The answer to your question is really determined by your final layout.

The plumbings codes state that if you have a 12" x 12" service access panel either up from underneath (which obviously will not be possible on the slab) or through an adjacent wall you may use the common slip joint type waste & overflow and P-trap.

If the waste & overflow and P-trap will be in a concealed location once the tub is set we are then required to use the Glue in type waste & overflow and P-trap.

Now, if you will be able to create a service access panel through an adjacent wall from the next room, and if you elect to use the common slip joint type waste & overflow and P-trap, it would then be advisable to create a small service pit to permit access to the trap. However you work it out, it is best to seal the pit in some manner rather than leaving it open to the subsoil, otherwise you have the risk of insects, rodents or ground water working up through the floor. This is also important if you live in areas where Radon Gas is a consideration. You certainly would not want to leave any openings through the slab where Radon Gas could enter the structure.

If you are not familiar with setting tubs it would be advisable to make every effort to create a service access through an adjacent wall even if you elect to use the glue in type waste & Overflow and P-trap. The reasoning here is that when installing the glue in type waste & overflow and P-trap you must assemble the whole drain system before setting the tub and their is precious little margin for error. Allowing a service access would permit you to make minor corrections without pulling the tub out again.

Comment

LazyPup,

Thank you very much for your response!

Your contributions to this forum are priceless!

Matt Hauser

Comment

Working...
      X
      =