Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kitchen sink repair

Several questions:

I had to replace all the metal pipes under my kitchen sink - they were rusted through.

1) I've replaced all with PVC... but the pipe that comes from the "T" bar <double sink> down to the P trap isn't long enough - so I have to add some pipe. There are no threads in PVC - so how do I connect these?

2) I bought new baskets to put in, and I put the plumber's putty around the "lip" that fits in the sink... put down the rubber ring... but the basket sits up above the sink bottom. How much putty is too much??

3) The pipe coming into the back wall of the sink cabinet is still the metal - but I need to have the PVC pipe connect here, to connect with the rest of the new PVC plumbing.... how do I connect these two?

Thanks in advance!!

Cary in OHio

First off, let us get your new baskets in correctly.

If you examine the basket kit you should find the basket, a large rubber gasket, a thin cardboard gasket and a locknut.

Take a small lump of plumbers putty and roll it out into a rod about the diameter of a wood pencil and about 7" long. Wrap the plumbers putty around the underside of the basket flange and lightly press it against the flange, then drop the basket through the hole in the bottom of the sink.

On the underside of the sink place the rubber gasket on the basket, then place the cardboard gasket under the rubber gasket, and finally screw the locknut on the basket. The cardboard gasket works as an anti friction washer so the nut can tighten up without binding on the rubber gasket. As you tighten the nut you will notice the excess plumbers putty is squeezing out from under the basket flange into the sink. Keep tightening the nut until the basket if firmly in place, then use your finger tip or a wet rag to wipe out the excess plumbers putty.

On the bottom of the basket there is a second smaller nut, which is a compression nut to hold the tailpiece in place.

Remove the nut and you should find a thin gasket under the nut. Set the gasket aside for a moment.

Now locate one of the tailpieces in your "Center Waste Kit." It will be a piece of thin PVC tubing about 3" long and 1-1/2" diameter with a flat flange on one end. Slip the tailpiece down through the nut so the open threaded side of the nut is on top and the flange of the tailpiece is resting in the nut. Lay the gasket on top of the tailpiece tubing and screw the nut back onto the bottom of the sink basket.

Repeat this assesmbly on the opposite side of the sink.

In the "Center Waste Kit you should now have two sections of tubing that have a 90deg bend on one end with a nut on the end of the bend. Unscrew the nut and you will find a thin nylon ferrule under the nut. Examine the ferrule and you will see that it has a wedge shaped cross section. Slip the nut up onto the tailpiece with the open threaded side pointing down, then slide the ferrule onto the end of the tailpiece with the pointed side of the wedge pointing down toward the end of the tailpiece. Slip the 90deg bend up onto the tailpiece as far as it will go, then while holding it firmly in place, slide the nut down and screw it onto the threads on the end of the 90.

Next locate the center TEE and remove one of the nuts on the end of the TEE. Slide the nut on the 90deg cross tube you just installed with the open side of the nut toward the end of the tube. Slip the compression ferrule on in the same manner as before, then slide the TEE on and screw the nut onto the TEE. Locate the second cross tube with the 90deg bend on the end and install it on the opposite sink in the same manner.

If the output tube from the Tee is too short to reach the P-trap you will need to get an "Extension Tailpiece".

An extension tailpiece is a straight section of PVC tubing with a compression fitting on one end. The are available in either 6" or 12" lengths. You connect the compression fitting on the output tube from the center Tee in the same manner that you made the other joints, then cut the tailpiece to length with a hacksaw to fit into the P-trap.

You still have a metal pipe coming out of the wall that has a chrome nut on the end. Remove the nut and you should find a rubber washer inside the nut.

Slip the nut on the output end of the P-trap, then slip the rubber washer on the P-trap tubing. Slip the end of the P-trap into the metal pipe in the wall then slide the nut to the pipe and tighten it up.

Comment

The waste piece that has a slip nut on it for connection to the waste system be it metal or plastic is called a DeSanko fitting.

Comment

[QUOTE=LazyPup]First off, let us get your new baskets in correctly.

You still have a metal pipe coming out of the wall that has a chrome nut on the end. Remove the nut and you should find a rubber washer inside the nut.

****** No, there isn't a chrome nut on the end at all - it's just a piece of pipe coming out of the wall.

This MAY have been rusted, and broke when my friend was taking the old pipe out. That was the case with another portion of the pipe. Regardless, there is no nut - just a piece of pipe.

I'll try the rest of the repairs tonite - busy day today - and see if I followed your directions clearly.

Thanks!!!

cary

Comment

Working...
        X
        =