Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing shower

Hello. I have a normal bathtub, normal plumbing on it, Its a little older, and the front/back is not against the wall, just the one side is, I've never had a shower installed in this bathroom..my question is, Can I simply hook up a part to the tubpipes so I can have a shower installed? I don't have money, and am tired of having baths!! I don't need anything fancy or goodlooking, cheaper the better...I hadn't planned on remodeling my whole bathroom for it, just need a special attatchment to do it..Is there such a thing possible? I hadnt planned on doing my floor for it, or ripping out any of the wall lol..What is the easiest way to go about this? For showerheads and such, I hadn't figured out what I want yet and had planned just buying a cheap shower curtain for my privacy..Should I figure out what head I want before I ask this? If possible, I would just like to stick a pipe with a shower head on it to the bathpipes, like a homemade backyard shower lol only if it were that easy..Thanks very much, Idk anything about plumbing or building, so idk if what I asked makes that much sense, or if this shower installing is more complicated than I'm hoping for. Thanks

The answer to your question would really depend upon the type of mixing valve you currently have. While there are some mixing valves that are strictly for tubs most mixing valves are set up for both tubs and showers. The water supply lines are connected directly under the Hot and Cold valves and in the center of the mixer body there is a threaded tap on both the top and bottom of the mixer assembly.

A short pipe is stubbed down from the bottom port to the tub spout, while a riser pipe is connected to the top of the mixer and runs up to the shower head.

It is possible that you already have this type of mixer and the top shower port presently has a pipe plug installed in the port. If that is the case you could remove the plug and run a riser up to a shower head.

You would then need to remove your tub spout and install a spout that has a built in shower diverter.

If you happen to have an older mixing valve that does not have a top shower port you could have a Tee installed on the line which drops down from the mixer to the tub spout, the install a riser from that tee up to your shower head and install a tub spout with a diverter to select whether you want to use the tub or shower.

If you are describing a free standing tub such as a claw foot tub you would then need to get a different mixer that has a shower riser and you would need to install a top curtain hanger. Because all of the necessary hardware for this type of tub is exposed it stands to reason that it must all be made with a plated finish. Retrofitting a free standing tub for a shower can be a very expensive project.
    Last edited by LazyPup; 03-08-2006, 11:47 PM.

Comment

thx lazypup

Comment

Unfortunately your shower curtain won't be cheap because you have to get a ceiling hangar set up for a complete surround. These are sold by "renovation" type distributors and are pricey.

Comment

I made a shower curtain support using 1/2 emt tubing, threaded pipe support straps and a few threaded flanges that screw to the ceiling. If you have an emt bender then making the bends would be easy.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =