Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interrupted Hot Water Flow

In process of retiling master bathroom in 20-year old home, found small leak under tile around tub faucet and rot in wood underneath. Elected to replace faucet and handles, and bought kit (Price Pfister) at local home supply store. Kit was designed to have nuts at end of plastic tubing attach to existing copper 1/2" lines, and tiler said he could cut existing water supply pipes and "sweat" fittings onto existing pipes. Great!

Despite effort to turn off water at pipes, small amount of water continued to flow in continuous stream out of tub faucet supply fitting, preventing soldering one of two feed pipes. Trying to turn off incoming water at water meter outside and inside just before it reached water heater in basement did not stop the flow. Flushing toilet in guest bath, draining hoses, draining other sink and tub faucets, did not fix the problem. DEcided to drain basement water heater in hopes of reducing pressure and ending flow (First turned off heater and pilot to be safe). Dumped four buckets of heated water from faucet at bott om of heater into sump. In meantime, tiler tried blowing on flowing pipe, resulting in pressure causing release of small amount of water at feed for commode (disconnected), and the flow stopped. Great! Tiler sweated fittings, and installed new faucet and handles.

Turned water back on at meter and above heater, turned off hoses and faucets, etc. Re-lit water heater pilot, turned water heater back on, reset to medium temperature, and heard water heater ignite to heat water. Although house is c. 20 years old, water heater is new (was replaced 1 - 2 years ago). However, even though water heater is heating water, only get weak and declining flow of lukewarm water from hot water taps. Cold water flow is fine.

Suggestions?

sediment

Did you take off all the screens off the taps and clean the sediment out? Can't imagine it would be too much sediment since i am guessing by the age of the house the pipe is copper.

About 2 years ago I shut my water off and when we turned it back on all the sediment (old galvanized pipes) clogged the shower diverter. Luckily we were about a week away from tearing the bath out.

I recently changed over to copper except for a few riser pipes going from the basement to the 2nd floor bath.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =