Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Perimeter drain - can only get 1% over 86 feet.

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perimeter drain - can only get 1% over 86 feet.

I’m running a new foundation drain down a garage and out to the street. I’ve got a couple questions.

1 – The total length of the run is 86 feet. Because of the topography of the yard I can only get the pipe to drop 12 inches. That’s a little over 1%. Is this OK? If not, does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do?

2 – Should I rent a level to make sure I get the grade right along the full 86 feet? Or is there another way of doing it?

Thanks.

You will be okay if you run 4" pipe.

Under the International Residential Code all lines 3" or less in diameter must be run with a 1/4" per foot pitch, except a 3" line may be run at 1/8" per foot with the expressed consent of the local inspector.

Under both the International Residential Code (IRC) and the Uniform Plumbing Code (UPC) a 4" line may be run with a 1/8" per foot pitch.

To convert a fraction to a decimal divide the numerator by the denominator, thus 1/8" is 1 divided by 8 = 0.125" per foot.

the length of the run is 85" so the required drop is 85 x 0.125 = 10.625"

to convert .625" to 1/8's of an inch we multiply 8 x 0.625 = 5 so 0.625" = 5/8"

To run 85' of pipe with a 1/8" per foot pitch the total drop is 10 5/8" thus your 12" drop exceeds code minimum for a 4" line.

You can very easily make a pitch level to check your pitch as you go. You simply add a spacer on one end of a level equal to the required pitch for the length of the level.

By example, Assume you have a 3' level. At 1/8" per foot the drop for 3' would be 3/8". Simply cut a small square block of 3/8 plywood equal to the width of the level and tape it on one end of the level.

See the attached illustration.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =