Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gate valve question PVC

What's type of gate valve should I use for 1 and 1/2" PVC? All I can find at my local hardware store are the expensive brass threaded type. I found some PVC valves searching on-line but they're still somewhat pricey.

Thanks.

If you looking for a gate valve for your sump pump discharge you can use a low pressure "PVC knife gate valve"

I found an 1-1/2" knife gate valve at the attached link for $7.50 (Please do not take this as an endorsement because I have never done business with the supplier, I simply offer the link as an example)

Last edited by LazyPup; 07-19-2006, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Thanks, LP.

The project is progressing, albiet at a slow pace. If I was this slow at my real job, we'd be "in the poor house," as my folks used to say.

I'll check some pool/spa suppliers for the knife valve. I think you make a good point about being able to take one pump off line having to shut down the system.

Hopefully the rain will hold off and the wife won't get too suspicious about all the time I'm spending in the basement.

Comment

one more point I forgot to mention earlier.

The plumbing Code requires that all horizontal pipe runs must be supported at 4' intervals.

Code prohibits using metal hangers or wire to support plastic pipes.

You can get preformed J-hook hangers made specific to the pipe size or you may used the Vinyl perf tape to make the hangers.

When using the vinyl perf tape a piece of wood should be extended down to the top of the pipe to prevent it from lifting upwards, then the perf tape is connected to the wood, passed under the pipe and back up the wood.

Comment

LP I can get PVC ball valves for about eight bucks each -- will these serve the same purpose as the gate valves?

Comment

Originally posted by LazyPup
            one more point I forgot to mention earlier.

The plumbing Code requires that all horizontal pipe runs must be supported at 4' intervals.

I won't have much of a horizontal run at all. What's the best way, however, to affix the vertical 2" pipe to the foundation wall? I hate drilling holes in concrete.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =