Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Escutcheon threaded mount

Hello all. I've been looking around the fourms here, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. My shower head leaks, so I'm in the process of taking the faucet apart. After a few hours of work I got the handles off and took the Escutcheon off. To my finding I've found an odd nut and/or threaded mount. I'm not sure how or what to use to take the unit apart, so I can replace the washers. I've never seen anything like this before; so I'm thinking it's really old or done with non-shower parts (That's just a wild guess!). Any information on how, what, etc. will be wonderful. I've uploaded two pictures (not very good, sorry) that should help. Thanks in advance!

Well it appears that is a Central Brass Faucet meaning parts are probably readily available. The bonnet assembly is partially covered by the shower walls. The holes look like they are too small to get the stem and bonnet assembly out. Usually there is a quarter inch gap around the bonnet. hope this helps.

Comment

It is difficult to be absolutely certain from the pictures but it appears to be an older CRANE MANUFACTURING CO. shower stem.

I am attaching two illustrations,

One illustration shows both the complete stem and the portion that would be visible when the stem is mounted in the mixer body.

The second illustration shows how to take the stems off with an ordinary adjustable wrench.

Before attempting to remove the stems first make sure the water is turned off, then open the stems fully. If the stems are left in the closed position the friction between the stem washer and the mixer body makes removal difficult, and when replacing stems the stem must be in the full open position or there is a high risk of the new washer being instantly distorted as the stem is threaded in.

I know its a bit late to mention now, but you could have taken the handles off very easily with an inexspenive handle puller tool that can be found in any hardware store for about $8 to $10. I would highly recommend a handle puller in any DIY toolbox.
      Last edited by LazyPup; 08-28-2006, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Thanks so much you two. Wow, LazyPup, your information helped me already! I haven't started the "hard" part, but my brain is already workin'. I did indeed buy a handle puller. I got the hot water handle off in about 30 mins (Soaked in PB Penetrating Catalyst and Vinegar). The cold handle took quite a lot of work (PB Penetrating Catalyst, Vinegar, Screw driver, more PB Penetrating Catalyst, more Vinegar, more Screaw driver, Vinegar once again, then the screwdriver/handle puller plus heat). I soaked both handles in vinegar overnight also. Needless to say I don't like the shower handles any longer Thanks again and I'll let you know how it turns out within the week!

P.S. I forgot to ask -- The parts (as Piper stated) are readily available, is this the same with Crane? Will, if any, there be markings or stamp on the stem to show who made it? And also, will there be a seat behind the stem? Sorry for the lame questions!
        Last edited by Autolycus; 08-28-2006, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Crane parts are also available. You should take an old stem with you when you go shopping for parts. It may be more cost effective to look at replacing the faucet at this point. By the time you by all of the parts you could be close to the cost of a whole faucet.

Comment

That stem illustration I posted was scanned directly out of the "Home Depot Supply- Maintenance solutions" -catalog.

It is always best to take a stem with you when buying new ones to compare them. ACE hardware or True Value hardware stores usually have a very good supply of stems in stock.

Those stems are relatively inexpensive, should be $10 or less.

Once you get the stem out you probably won't even need a new stem. Those use common Bibb Washers.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =