Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Water Heater Electrical Problem

I have an electric water heater with two elements. It's a State Select Model ES652. This unit is only about 1 year old.

The wiring to the lower heating element is burned out. Basically, the wire from the lower thermostat to the heating element is intact but the wire from the element to the upper area burned through the metal of the wire. The wire is now totally disconnected. As a result, only the upper element is heating.

I don't think the wiring was done wrong based upon the schematic in the owner's manual. I'm wondering if I should replace the heating element or if there may be some other cause. I have not tried to rewire it back in place yet to see if the lower element still works.

Any thoughts/suggestions will be appreciated.

I don't know why the insulation on the wire would get hot enough to melt, but evidently in your case it did! during manufacture it could have been put against the tank under the insulation or next to the shell above the insulation. They use a minimum temperature wire like 60 degrees C type TW. Get some type thhn/thwn solid #12 copper and replace it. the temp rating for thhn/thwn is 90 degrees C.
    Last edited by HayZee518; 09-08-2006, 05:57 AM. Reason: mis-typed wire size

Comment

Check that element for a short before turning power back on.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =