Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good place to buy toilets?

We're probably going to be needing a new toilet soon and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on good places to buy one.

I've hit the standard places such as Home Depot and Lowes and they have a pretty good selection but I'm not too sure about their prices (luckily haven't actually had to buy a toilet before). Where do the *real* plumbers go for their toilets?

Thanks in advance,

Carlos

I generally buy them at a plumbing supply house....

But before you decide which one you want to buy i found a website that has an independant study on toilet performance..

It is a PDF document that shows the complete procedure on how they measured performance by using soybean paste to simulate varying weights of fecal matter.

schroll down the document and they have a comparison chart of almost every toilet currently on the market listed by manufacturer and model and how they fared in the test...

Comment

Thanks for the reply, LazyPup. Are there national plumbing supply houses that might be in my area (California's Central Coast) or do they tend to be mom-and-pops? Something a gander in my yellowpages would probably reveal, I would imagine :-)

Thanks in advance

Comment

Most Trade Specialty supply houses, I.E. Plumbing supply, Electrical Supply, HVAC Supply etc, are locally owned and operated although they are generally a lot more complex than what we think of as a mom & pop operation.

In many cases the trade specialty supply house will be a fairly large complex often rivaling the dimensions of your local Home Depot or Lowes store but they are dedicated to the supplies and materials related to one specific trade. The difference being that while your local big box building supply retailer primarily only carries the materials and supplies related to residential or light commercial sales the trade specialty supplier carries a full line of materials to meet the needs of the residential, commercial, industrial and in some instances municipal systems.

In most cases the trade specialty supply is a warehouse type operation directing their sales to trade professionals on a wholesale basis. Rather than having the open customer browsing such as we have in the retail store the trade specialty supply house is generally an over the counter type sales operation directed to trade professionals who come prepared with a full shopping list of supplies and materials or they phone, fax or email a material list beforehand and their order is pulled and prepositioned on the loading dock awaiting their arrival. Many supply houses are limited to wholesale purchases only while some do permit over the counter retail sales but a word of caution here. Before attempting to purchase at a trade specialty supply you better do your homework thoroughly. The trade specialty supply house is an extremely high volume dealer and in most cases they have a minimal number of counter persons who will expect you to know what you want specified by the proper trade nomenclature when you come to the counter. If your looking for go-zintas, thingamabobs and doo dads this is not the place to look. (but if you ask for a "hickey" in an electrical supply you will get a conduit bender) It should also be pointed out here that the men and women who work the parts counters are retail clerks and warehousemen, they may or may not be trade professionals themselves and they will not provide the type of advice or design information that you customarily get in the isles of the big box stores; but on the other hand, in most instances those people in the big box store who offer free advice are not trade pro's either and in many cases they give you free advice because they know the true value of that advice.

Having said all of this it must also be noted that only you know your taste in the design and features of the final fixtures and end items related to your project. With that in mind most trade specialty supply houses do have a showroom where the ultimate customer can come in and make their selection of style, color or design of the fixtures or end items. In the showroom area you will find very highly trained retail personel who can answer most of your questions and provide good comparitive data to help you make your choices.

To locate a Plumbing supplier close your location you can look in your phone book under "Plumbing Supplies" or you could use the link I previously provided to get a list of manufacturers, then run an online search for the manufacturers website. On most sites they will have a button to provide information for an authorized dealer near you.
        Last edited by LazyPup; 09-08-2006, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Home Depot sells the Kohler Wellworth Lite toilet. It's a great toilet for the price and you won't get it any cheaper than at the big orange. It comes with a Fluidmaster fill valve and a 3 bolt tank/bowl connection.

I'd also suggest spending just a bit more and buying the insulated tank for it instead of the standard non insulated one. It'll keep the tank from sweating and dripping onto your bathroom floor

Comment

You can not beat Home Depot or Lowe for prices, I am sure.

I am just a homeowner like you.

Also consider if you have to return the toilet. If you mail order it or if you bought it many miles away, its a pita to return it. Your local hw is more convenient. Also, if you are a novice, you may have questions on how to install which your local hw can provide. For example, you will need additional stuff to install one such as water line hose, adapters if needed, and the round stuff that goes under the drain (whatya call it? wax...) and you need to get the right height.

Good luck.
            Last edited by leodlion; 09-12-2006, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Got a good laugh from your comment about where "real" plumbers buy their toilets. Depends a lot on how much the customer wants to spend and what "frills" they want. Real plumbers also have the supply houses to go to. Home owners are pretty much limited to the Big Box stores or a manufacturers outlet such as Kohler. Look at what you are getting for your dollar. Check the exit opening size. I have seen them from 1-1/2" to 2-3/8". Home Depot has this listed on their display models. Check the fill valve. I am a believer in Fluidmaster 400A valves. Make sure the trap is coated also. Some manufacturers skimp on the porcelin and "stuff" hangs up there. Insulated tanks are good, but does your current toilet tank sweat? Also be sure you can get replacement parts should you need them. (go with a name brand unit) Hope this helps. Good luck.
              P.S. If you are considering one of those units that can flush 16 golf balls, you most likely need a doctor, not a toilet. LOL
              Last edited by majakdragon; 09-16-2006, 09:45 AM.

Comment

If you want a toilet which wil flush well, you will not get in in the $69 "toilet in a box" or "toilet to go" specials. You have 2 general choices:
                a) pressure assisted types, made by all the major brands
                b) the new flushing technology. Amer. Standard "golf ball", Champion or Cadet III. Kohler calls it "class 5" Eljer Titan Toto G-max

Either a or b will run you $250 to $500.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =