I have a shower with a leaking shower pan. I am trying to do some of the demolition myself before getting it repaired. I am removing the tile floor and the underlying mortar. Below the mortar is a layer that looks like concrete. Is this in fact what it is and if so, how do I remove it? Is replacing a leaking pan a job for someone with limited home repair experience or am I getting in over my head? I think I need to get down to the subfloor and evaluate that for water damage. Is that correct?
leaky shower pan ?
Collapse
X
-
Yes you want to get down to the subfloor.
When I've done these shower pans, I install blocking between the wall studs to hold the mortar. Then pour a layer of mortar sloping toward the drain. The next day, I lay the rubber liner, stapling it to the blocking and studs. Then pour another layer of mortar, carefully sloping it. I think this is the critcal point for making a nice, smooth tile floor. If it wavers or flattens out anywhere, you will have a tile edge sticking up or tile vulnerable to cracking. I think a homeowner can do this if you take your time. If you see anything that's not perfect be patient and re-do it. Don't move on to the next step. The Home Depot tile book has an OK guide for doing this.
Trending
Collapse
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Tag Cloud
Collapse


Comment