Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oops...there's a hole in my pipe

Hi
    I'm in the middle of a minor remodel of our downstairs bathroom (thanks for all the help). While replacing some damaged drywall, I apparently spaced out a little bit and, to make a long story short, there is now a hole in the copper supply pipe for the toilet roughly the diameter of a small nail. I actually sent the nail through the face of the stud and into the pipe, not the brightest move. Anyway, I am fairly handy (really) and would like to fix this myself, if possible. What is the easiest way? Does this type of pipe have to be soldered?
    Thanks,
    Tim

All copper pipe joints in a concealed location are required to be soldered however there is a very simple solution to your problem.

Most copper pipe couplings have a small dimple pressed into the wall of the coupling which serves as a stop when you insert the pipe into the coupling. The intent is to insure that each pipe only goes 1/2 way into the coupling however they also make "Repair Couplings" which appear exactly the same as an ordinary coupling but it has no stop detent inside. A repair coupling can be slid completely onto one pipe.

Begin by cutting the pipe with the center of the cut running exactly through the nail or screw hole. Once the pipe is cut clean both then ends of the pipe with emery cloth. Next clean the inside of your coupling with an ID fitting brush. then lightly spring one side of the pipe outward until you can slide the repair coupling on and slide the coupling completely on that aection of pipe. U Now reallign the two ends of the pipe, use an acid brush to apply flux to both ends of the pipe and slide the coupling across the joint until it is centered over your cut. Rotate the coupling a couple times to insure the flux is evenly spread and solder the coupling in place.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =