Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know what this is?

Hi all,

sorry if this is the wrong place to post this question...but I don't know really know where this belongs. This may also be a dumb question, but its a new house, I'm a first time owner, and I know very little about houses...so any help is appreciated. The attached pictures show some exposed copper in an area in the garage where the concrete has crumbled and the area underneath is exposed. This is located at an area in the garage where the concrete floor meets the outer garage wall.

Any ideas what this is? Do I need to have someone take a closer look and repair it?

TIA,

the beagle

no idea but it could be a drain line

Comment

What it is??

Sure looks like a lot of patch work on that cement wall that the pipe goes through. Is there a spigot on the other side? Anything on the other side? Strange to see that on new construction.

Comment

It appears that the raggedy lookng blue material is the remains of a PVC sleeve that was put over the pipe before the concrete was poured.

It is anybodies guess what the copper line might be. It could be something as simple as a T&P drain from the water heater, perhaps a line to a hose bibb as was mentioned before, of this could be your main water line entering the structure.

Comment

Thanks for the replies all. In answer to someone's question, there is no spigot directly on the other side of it, but there is one about 15 feet away that drains to the outer side. However, the copper pipe does not seem to point towards the spigot. The concrete above the copper is part of the outer wall in the garage and the other side of the wall is my walkway to my front door. the aforementioned concrete is cracked where the copper appears to run, only goes about 6 inches above the floor and then its all drywall. the broken parts of concrete are mostly on the floor right at the point where the floor and wall meet. the blue stuff is hard to see in the image, but it is actually thin blue plastic that is torn up where the copper is exposed.

although the copper is bent, it does not appear to be compromised despite having an unsettling look. Would it be a bad idea to just cover the copper and patch the concrete with some sort of concrete mix from the hardware store? thanks all

the beagle

Comment

sorry I reread the posts and I should calrify...its a new house to me, not a new house..its actually 7 years old.

Comment

take a cold chisel and a five lb hammer and chip away the concrete and see where it's going. because the "crete" is broken apart anyway I trust you were going to point it up anyway.

Comment

When I was maintaining apartments in Southern California we had a pipe just like that one with the blue wrap, come to find out was the building main water line ran from the meter outside to the apts. in the building. They had ran all the water main lines this way right up the outside walls from the meters to the above apts. Had to have one concrete sawcut and repaired the leaking main water line. Was such a bad idea because of all the movement in the ground out there.

Comment

If it does turn out to be a water line, I would be afraid of it freezing up in the winter. Unless of course you are in a very southern climate.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =