Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No putty

I just bought a new fiberglass laundry sink. It says not to use plumbers putty on the drain. It looks just like any other drain I've seen. Could you please tell me why they would recommend not using plumbers putty?

Thank you

chemical compatibility

In the couple of instances I've come across this, it was mentioned because some formulation of plumbers putty was chemically incompatible with the polymer in question. In your case it's fiberglass which is gel coated, right? If you have an adverse chemical reaction it could actually start a leak, which is the opposite what you're trying to achieve.

Usually in those situations a rubber gasket is supplied to be used instead of plumbers putty.

Joseph
    You've got to love remodeling your Castle!

Comment

There are two reasons why a manufacturer may say "No Putty"

As was mentioned before, in some instances the chemical formula of the putty could react with the sink and actually cause a leak however the more common reason is the putty may chemically react with the sink material and cause an unsightly stain to appear.

Check the MFG installation instructions carefully. Usually when they states no putty they will recommend you should use clear silicone sealer in place of the putty.

Comment

Originally posted by LazyPup View Post
        There are two reasons why a manufacturer may say "No Putty"

the putty may chemically react with the sink material and cause an unsightly stain to appear.
        LazyPup is correct! In my haste i neglected to mention multiple reasons. The underlying reason is chemical reactivity as mentioned.

Joseph
        You've got to love remodeling your Castle!

Comment

Plumbers Putty

Thank you for the information. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
          Fred

Comment

Working...
          X
          =