Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supply lines to fixtures

I watched a show called "Ed the Plumber". On that show he recommended when replacing a dishwasher you should remove the copper line & replace it with the newer & longer lasting stainless wrapped line. Am I being old school in thinking the Type L copper lines are the best to use? Also does that go for toilet supply? I use the bendable solid lines for toilets. Please clear up what to use to supply water to sinks, toilets & dishwashers.

the braided poly supply lines are very flexible and less prone to leaks because of vibration. I used to have solid chromed brass on my toilet and sink supplies and have since changed them all out for flexible braided poly lines. They're easier to install and they don't leak like those brass compression with "wedding rings" fittings. Only place I have copper tubing is the supply to my refrigerator and this is coiled up behind it.

Comment

The term “Stainless wrapped” begs us to ask the question, wrapping what?

When I first encountered this question I consulted a number of plumbing supply catalogs to see if I could find an answer although I was not impressed with the result of my query. The one thing that all of the stainless steel wrapped lines have in common is the stainless steel wrap, but aside from that it appears to be anybodies guess what may be concealed inside. What I found was that the stainless steel braid wrapped lines contain non-toxic polymer lines, polybutelene lines, PEX lines or even synthetic rubber lines. What I did not find was anything that would indicate these lines to be “longer lasting” than the time tested copper or brass tubing.

While these ready made lines offer ease of installation for a true measure of time tested reliability it is hard to beat properly installed copper or chrome plated brass lines with compression fittings on the angle stops and cone washers on the fixture end.

Comment

Thank you

Thank you very much for the info. This forum is the best.

Fred

Comment

Working...
        X
        =