Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shellback Torpedo Sump Pump Float

New to the group and hope someone can help with my question.

I have a Shellback Torpedo sump pump. Can anyone help with how to adjust the float to make it kick on sooner? Right now the water keeps rising above the floor level before it kicks on. I also noticed the level inside the drain is much higher than it used to be.

from what I can deduce from the diagram, there is a collar that goes around the pump body that goes down into the floor drain. by loosening this collar you can move the pump up or down hopefully changing its kick in - kick out level.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      from what I can deduce from the diagram, there is a collar that goes around the pump body that goes down into the floor drain. by loosening this collar you can move the pump up or down hopefully changing its kick in - kick out level.
      The pump sits on a white PVC tube going into the floor. I'm not sure if it can be adjusted but will check when I get home. There is a flexible rubber tube going down into the pvc tube from the pump. I'm wondering if that has something to do with the float. Thanks for the reply though.

Comment

that tube could be a pressure transducer for a diaphragm switch

Comment

We had (have) a Shellback Torpedo pump that worked flawlessly for 40 years (original with the house, we've been here 28 years). After several power outages and running the pump on our generator, the motor started sounding "funny". Through a friend, I was directed to Eller's Service (248-652-6650) who claim to have experience with the Shellback pump.

Our new pump was installed August, 2009 and has required numerous service calls for the same reason cited here; it doesn't come on soon enough and allows water to rise above the drain. Eller's service has been patient but largely ineffective. Another reference phone number is Shellback Manufacturing in Hazel Park, Mich 248-544-4630. Ask for "Rick" who I believe is the current owner. It appears to be a small operation. He is NOT helpful!

Kick-on point can be set by loosening the 11/16" brass nut on the plastic covered (threaded end) cable going into the shut-off valve. Rotate cable clockwise to adjust turn-on/off then gently retighten the nut. It is very tricky to adjust. If set to come on sooner, the pump may not turn off (overheat?).

Since 08/09, we've had 3 shut off valves (original + 2). Original and 2nd appeared to be defective. 3rd one appeared to work correctly as delivered by Shellback (QC problem???) until yesterday when I found more water on the floor. I asked Ellers and Shellback to "put their heads together" and figure out why they can't get this pump to work (design has changed over last 40 years) and call me Friday 8/27.

Does anyone have further recommendations, ideas other than "Call for Action?" I am pretty disgusted at this point!

Comment

Working...
          X
          =