Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heres A Plumbing Puzzle For You

The attached photo was taken by a Plumbing Inspector after redtagging a DIY plumbing job.

The homeowner/DIY'er would like to know why this job was condemned?

Can anyone find a code violation in this photo?

code violation...

The most glaringly obvious to me is the DWV printing not obvious on that one back section...other than that...I wish some of my work were that neat!

Comment

LOL..Here is a clue.

There is not one pipe in the entire photo that would pass inspection.

Comment

When I bought my home the plumbing looked very similar if not worse. I wonder if it was the same person . I ended up completly replacing everything.

Comment

Just a few of the Violations Noted:

PIPE HANGERS
          1. All pipes are required to have a hanger within 12” of a change in direction and one for every four (4) linear feet of run. –There are only two hanger visible in the photo.
          2. Code prohibits using metal hangers, metal strapping or metal wire to support plastic pipe – The only hangers visible in the photo are galvanized perforated metal strapping.
          3. Pipe hangers must prevent any upward thrust of the pipe. This can be accomplished by a bored hole through a wooden support, A plastic formed J-hook hanger with a pipe lock or a wooden spacer between the top of the pipe and the point of attachment to the structural framing. Although plastic Perforated strapping is permitted it does not prevent upward thrust unless used in conjunction with a rigid spacer.

CLEANOUTS
          Code requires a cleanout at every point where a DWV line makes a change of direction greater than 45degrees. There is only one cleanout visible in this photo and it is not required at the point were it is presently located.

SANITRARY TEE’S
          Code prohibits installing a Sanitary Tee on a horizontal line.
          Each intersecting pipe connection in this photo is made with a Sanitary Tee. Code requires the use of a Wye & 1/8 bend or a Combo to make a tee connection on a horizontal line.

TRAPS-
          1. The standing water level in a trap is required to be a minimum of 2” but not more than 4”. When installing a glue-in trap you must use a Street ¼ bend as the tailpiece of the trap. All the traps in the photo are glue in traps and all have a spacer and a common 1/4bend for the tailpiece connection. (
          The trap in the center would have a water level nearly a foot deep.)
          2. The maximum allowable length of a vertical riser on the trap input side is 24” when measured from the opening of the fixture drain to the water line in the trap. In the photo each trap input is at least 4’
          Last edited by LazyPup; 03-12-2007, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Okay... maybe it's not code, but it does look like a work of art. It kind of reminds me of the 'Pipe Dream' video game. <grin>

Comment

Working...
            X
            =