Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wall flanged old toilet

need to replace old wall flanged toilet. need to see if can find new toilet?

This is just a personal opinion but....

Those newfangle US Govt designed 1.6 gallon toilets in the opinion of myself and most everyone else I know SIMPLY SUCK. Unless you really need to replace it or have a real need to save water for some reason you might just want to rebuild the thing. One thing for sure. If you decide to buy one you have only a couple options. Buy a good one and first check it with consumer reports and epions ect. Secondly if you are near the border go buy one in Canada or Mexico. The cheap ones really suck and there is no way to modify them I know of so they work right. You can rig the tank for a full flush but the way they are set up all you are really doing is wasting double the amount of water or more because you still have to flush twice and don't take the plunger out of reach either. Most folks I know of here near the border go and buy them in Quebec. Of course if you live in the SE maby you will want the feature but for those of us in the NE we have plenty of H2O. a

Comment

We would really need to know a bit more information before we could assist you in finding a wall flanged toilet.

Is this a conventional floor mount tank type flush with a wall mounted flange or is it perhaps a wall mounted toilet? And if it is a wall mounted toilet does it have a tank or is it a flush-o-meter type power flush mechanism?

While floor mount tank flush type toilets extremely rare in the USA they are quite common in some foreign countries. Most major manufacturers make them for there international sales market but they are seldom even listed in catalogs in the USA. If this is the type of toilet you need I would suggest consulting with a sales rep at your local Plumbing Supply house to see what they can find for you.

True wall mounted toilets are very common in the USA although they are typically used more in commercial plumbing than in residential applications. I doubt that you would find many options for wall mount toilets in the common home supply centers but they are easy to locate if you contact a "Plumbing Supply house". One word of caution here, be ready for a bit of sticker shock when looking for wall mount toilets. Typically the prices start at about $900 and go up significantly.

Now in regards to the comments about the 1.6gpf low volume toilets. I don't recall ever reading so much mis-information in a single paragraph before.

First of all, the 1.6GPF toilets were not designed by the U.S.Government. They were designed by private industry in response to water conservation legislation in California, which resulted from a 5 yr drought from 1987-1992.

The claim that you can rig the tanks of a 1.6gpf toilet to get double the amount of water is totally incorrect. It might be possible to jury rig an extension to raise the height of the standpipe but doing so would be a total violation of both the plumbing codes and Federal, State and local health codes. In order to insure there can be no cross contamination between potable water and non-potable water the codes require the lowest portion of the fill valve discharge port to be a minimum of 1" above the highest level of the standpipe.

The claim that low volume toilets don't work is also false. When low volume toilets were first introduced they had to design a flow restrictor into the trapway to effect a proper flush under low volume conditions. In the early years of low flow toilets those restrictors did cause the toilets to clog more often than the old 3.5 or 5gpf toilets however the flow restrictors were soon replaced by placing an additional bend in the lower trapway thus they were able to keep the diameter of the trapway constant and alleviated the clog problem.

I am attaching a link to a Maximum Performance Study that was conducted by an independant testing lab. The complete study is in PDF format for easy download.

In a nutshell, the study defines how they used soy bean paste to simulate human fecal matter and tested over 100 toilets selected at random from all the major manufacturers.

The soil bean paste was formed into logs simulating the dimension of human fecal matter and in varying weights from 250grams (.55lbs) through 1,000grams (2.2 lbs).

The first part of the study defines and illustrates the manner inwhich they performed the test but if you schroll down to the bottom of the report you will find a table listing all the major manufacturers alphabetically then listing their models of toilets and how that model faired in the test.

I found it very interesting to note that nearly all the toilets manufactured by American Standard, Kohler and Gerber we capable of consistantly flushing loads in excess of 1000 grams (2.2lbs)

The report also lists the manufacturers suggested list price and I found it interesting that some of the lower priced toilets actually performed as well if not better than some of the high end designer grade toilets.

Maximum Performance test report PDF download site:

Last edited by LazyPup; 06-04-2007, 09:01 AM.

Comment

AH Well That All May Be Well And True, Maby

I Am sure they have managed to improve and I can understand very well why they went to the time and expense of doing so. My toilets are vintage 1994 or 95 American Standards. Believe me or not when I speak from the voice of 12 years with the things that they plug constantly and for little reason. I also know more than a few guys who have the new ones and feel the same way for exactly the same reasons. As I said before make sure you get a GOOD one if you want one of those for the aformentioned reasons. Another thing I would take with a grain of salt are those tests. I can't envision soybeans as being the best substitute for lets say a low fiber diet when it comes to testing if you know what I mean.
        Sure its representitve but it has its limitations. Aside from that I seroiusly question the results of any US Govt sponsored test findings. If you are old enough you will remember the study findings that unleaded gasoline wouldn't damage the engine in your 1970's automobile. I believe the figures were something like valve seat erosion in under 2000 miles depending on deposits left over from previous driving ect but it was all lies. Then more recently there is the FDA and their pill studies, phen phen the new generation painkillers and the list goes on. Long story short they push their agenda then they cover their asses. If you are looking for the greatest story ever told start there, just hold your wallet.
        If you want to know how something really works check out Consumer Reports, Epinions and places like that to see how people like or dislike something. Otherwise you might want to keep that plunger handy.

Comment

Once again you have resorted to mis-information and vain inuendo's in a blind effort to blame the U.S. Governtment for all the ills of your life.

Quoting directly from the Toilet Performance report:

"This report, originally published in 2003 with the test results for the initial group of toilet fixtures is periodically updated (approximately every four to six months) and made available free-of-charge on the websites of the Canadian Water & Wastewater Assoc (CWWA), California Urban Water Conservation Council (CUWCC) and Veritec Consulting Inc."

Since you seem to set so much store by the Consumer Reports rating, perhaps you would like to explain to us why Consumer Reports rated the "American Standard -CadetII" as the best buy in toilets?

Understanding that I am a Master Plumber and not a pharmacologist or medical practitioner I don't feel myself qualified to comment on drugs with the possible exception of the mis-use of laxatives and their impact on plumbing fixtures.

Now perhaps if you could supply us a little bit more substantial evidence of your claims rather than just the two toilets that you personally own and the alleged heresay testimony of unnamed third parties we might find some semblance of credance to your claims.

Comment

Ok You win.

You are absolutely right in all respects Lazypup. I won't even waste my time trying to answer you. I stand corrected absolutely and bow to your absolute knowedge of all things. To the other guy all I can say is invest in a good plunger and don't put it too far away. Over and out

Comment

Don't know if the problem has already been resolved, but if you are looking for a wall discharge, wall-mounted water closet with tank, you may want to check out a Crane Rexmont. Without checking current cost, I'd say they would run around $650 in white. Also wanted to add that LazyPup hit the nail on the head, low-consumption water closets have made leads and bounds in the last few years, companies like Toto, Kohler, and Gerber have all introduced water closets that work very well. Hope this helps.
              Last edited by travisdecpn; 06-27-2007, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =