Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get this old faucet out!

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to remove this kitchen faucet to replace it with a newer one. I'm not sure I'm going about it the right way. I'm a complete novice with all home repair things and the last time I replaced a kitchen faucet it had a plastic nut that made the process very simple.

This time though I think that it is a brass nut under the sink. I've gotten a basin wrench, but the thing wont budge. The nut seems so shallow I'm not even sure that is what I need to remove. I don't think this is a bottom mounting faucet, but I'm not sure. (again, the novice thing..)

Am I going about this the right way? If so, what can I do to try and loosen this up more? It seems like the basin wrench barely fits over that nut, and I think when I try to put pressure on it, it slips down to the threads below it.

Here are a few pictures. Thanks for your help!

that brass nut has got to come off. if you have the room get a "crowfoot" open end wrench with an extension bar and ratchet. looks like the supply line is soldered directly into the fixture too! most supply lines use a flexible hose with the appropriate gland nut.

Comment

So I've gone back in there and really cranked on it..

The way I understand it, that nut needs to thread down until it falls loose near the supply lines.

When I exert alot of force on the nut, the entire assembly moves slightly (say, 5 degrees or so) back and forth, but it is obviously not threading down at all.

I'm not sure how to keep that threading stationary, I don't have any clamps or anything (but I could get one if that's the trick) - are there any solutions that could dissolve some of that buildup around the threads?

Comment

Looking at you photo there appears to be strong evidence of electrolosys corrossion. When electrolosys occurs metal from one component is carried to the other one molecule at a time over a long period of time. Often the end result is that the two pieces become partially welded and are then nearly impossible to unscrew.

There are a couple methods that may work for you.

If you have a set of plumbers sockets you could slip one over the copper supply tubes and get a better grip on the nut, then try to turn it while having a helper hold the top of the faucett from turning. (Note: A complete set of plumbers sockets can be found in any hardware store for about $10.) If you have a set of mechanics deepwell sockets that will fit over the nut, you could begin by cutting the copper supply tubes off the bottom of the faucett assembly then use the deepwell socket with a breaker bar, but here again, you will need to have someone hold the faucett from the top of the sink so that it will not turn while your torquing with a wrench.

You might find it much easier to use a mini-hacksaw to cut the nut, then you can pry the nut off. (See attached illustration)

The real problem here is that you are working in a very confined space. Quite often it is much easier to pull the whole sink out and turn it upside down, then you can easily saw the old faucett assembly off.

You also asked if this is a bottom mounting faucett? Technically no. I have attached another illustration to show you how a conventional faucett assembly is attached. You can see that the conventional faucetts have two individual 1/2 NPT (National Pipe Taper) theaded nipples where the supply lines attach, and they have a cross tube from the outside holes to the center mixer body. A bottom mount has the cross tubes under the sink top while a top mount the cross tubes are above the sink top and covered by a trim cover.

Your faucett has a single hole mount, with one locknut on the underside to hold it in place. The wing extensions on the top are simply a trim cover to cover the two outside holes in the sink top.

Comment

Thanks for the additional information, Lazypup! I was pretty sure that it wasn't a bottom mounting faucet, but I wasn't sure.. I don't know anything about this stuff.

I ended up getting it off - I used some steel wool to try and remove as much of that build up as possible, and then sprayed it with some WD-40 and let it sit for about 30 minutes.

When I came back, it was a bit more forgiving but after a few turns I realized that it was uneven on the threads, so I tightened it all the way back up and then loosened it again. This time it came off straight and without issues.

The first thing I did after getting the faucet out was walking it to the trash and tossing it in. I'm glad to be rid of the thing.

I'd tell you thanks by saying that I have running water in my kitchen again, but I forgot the plumbers putty... so thanks.. (and I'll have running water tomorrow night!)

knate

Comment

Working...
          X
          =