Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this Concrete? How do I connect PVC?

Hi!
    I have some roots in my sewer and need to replace a 10 foot section with PVC.

The pipes are concrete (I think) sections, just short of 3 feet each about 5.5 - 6 " on the outside diameter. They are connected into eachother a few inches because they are larger at one end (the roots are growing in these connections).

I have attached a couple of pictures.

How do I connect PVC to these?
    Do I cut the concrete with a saw?
    Should I cut them in the thinner section and use a fernco coupling to PVC, or can I stick the PVC into a section and seal?
    I guess the inside diameter could be 4" then the latter wouldn't work...

Thanks for any advice!

I can't speak for lazypup as he would be the authority in this case, but looking at the pix the pipe could be a clay pipe or even transite which is a concrete based pipe. the sealant used at the joints is oakum and lead. Cast iron pipe I know how to cut - a chain pipe snapper as he stated, but concrete or clay would probably shatter if you use a snapper. A masonry saw would be better.

Comment

I saw the photo's on your other post and I appologize for the delay in responding but this pipe is a very rare bird.

While it has the same general shape as cast iron or vitrified clay Hub & Spigot pipe from what I can see in the photo's I think you are correct in your assessment that it is fibracious cement pipe.

That type of pipe was introduced for a short time but it never received much attention and now it is no longer on the list of approved materials in the two major national codes (IRC & UPC).

Obviously it must have been approved at the time it was installed for your house so you will be permitted to continue using it. You just would not be permitted to replace the line with this type of pipe.

One of the drawbacks of cement pipe is that it is fairly brittle and can pose a real problem when attempting to cut it. I would try using a side grinder equiped with a masonary cutoff wheel or a diamond blade or if you have a Roto-zip they have a diamond cutoff wheel for cutting ceramic tile that will cut it.

When cutting the pipe I would suggest working slow and let the cutter do all the work. Try not to put too much stress or vibration on the pipe while cutting.

You stated that you have to cut out about a 10' section. I would suggest you make a couple practice cuts in the part of the pipe that you intend to discard and once you are comfortable with the cutting technique you will be ready to make a final cut where you need it.

Once you have the pipe cut off to a raw spigot end measure the OD of the pipe. You should be able to find a reducing FERNCO that will fit over that pipe
      and connect to your PVC pipe.

Comment

Success!!!

All right! The project is completed successfully, thanks a bunch for all the advice. Lazypup taking the lead and others who follow: I truly appreciate all your help!!!!

The snapcutter I rented from HD worked like a charm, it cut both the Cast Iron and the Concrete with smooth cuts.
        I could not believe how much roots were in the old pipe....the fact that it actually drained, slowly but surely amazes me.....one section was so full of roots it looked like they could use it in the commercials for rootkiller....It was completely blocked.
        Anyway, connecting the PVC between the CI with a No-Hub, Installed a 4" cleanout for future issues and connected the PVC to Concrete with a 4-6" fernco coupling - found at a local plumbing store.
        Funny that they put in such a unique piece of pipe, oh well, it's all history now, and PVC has taken over.

Thanks again for all the advice, couldn't have done it without you.
        I spent about $ 120 on this, and with the digging and all work, I figured it would have cost atleast $ 2k to have a plummer do it.

Next project is awating!
        By the way - Lazypup, your drawings for the cleanout installation were so good I felt like a pro walking around HD picking the right pieces without looking completely clueless - have a GREAT weekend and thanks again for taking me from a complete beginner to a proud beginner who has now completed two projects with you as the mentor!

Comment

Working...
        X
        =