Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help

Just had our water pressure regulator replaced with a "Watts 3/4 25-75psi." Serial number 0704T -- there is NO model number stamped on the regulator tag. This has reduced the flow of water to our kitchen sink which is OK but now the hot water barely trickles out into our clothes washer. Could the guy have messed something up or do I need to adjust something?

Also, at the same time we had a 20 year-old bathtub handle replaced. The guy bought a similar kind but had to go to 3 plumbing supply stores to find one. It is a one hadle tub/shower knob. It looks cheap. He did not replace the spout or faceplate on the knob.

He charged a total of $500.00 for both projects. Since I can't find specific price info on the new regulator, I can't determine if we got "hosed."

Please no lectures just some insight and suggestions on what to do about the low hot water stream to the clothes washer.

THX!

The flow appears restricted at the kitchen sink and the laundry washing machine. MY first reaction is that probably some mineral scale & sediment was loosened during the installation of the pressure regulator and it has fowled the screens in the sink aerator and washing machine hose screens.

First remove the kitchen faucet aerator and clean the screens. While you have the aerator off open the cold water faucet full force and measure the amount of water that will flow in 1 minute. It should be 2.5gal in one minute. Replace the aerator and check the flow again.

Turn the water supply off to the laundry washing machine then disconnect the hoses at the supply faucet. There should be a rubber faucet washer that has a screen in the hose fitting. Remove and clean that screen. There may also be another screen washer on the input of the washing machine water valve.

With the line connected to the faucet but disconnected from the washing machine run water into a bucket and time the flow for one minute. You should have between 2.5 & 4 gal/min from the washing machine faucet.

In regards to the price charged for the service, it is very difficult to comment on pricing because labor rates vary greatly from one region to another, however in general I think the price charged may be slightly high for the actual service performed on site, but we must consider that the plumber also spent considerable time going to multiple supply houses in search of your parts. With all things considered I wouldn't think the bottom line is too far out of range.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =