Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whole House Filter?

I am currently on well water and would like to add a whole house filter. The one I'm looking at is the Whirlpool WHCF-DWHBB because it seems to use the standard Big Blue filters.

Can anyone confirm I'm correct on this? Also, is there a lower cost filter housing that's clear? The Whirlpool unit sells for just under $60 at Lowes.

Also would it be a good idea to get 2 of these units to work in parallel and should I install them before or after the pressure tank? I'm thinking before the tank to capture sediment from getting into the tank, but I'm hearing it's better to install after the tank because of pressure from the well pump to the tank.

BTW, my pump is in the well, so it's pushing water up. It's also around 200ft down.

Thanks!!

filter

Right or wrong, I had two four filters at the other house. The first two were trapping the larger micron stuff and the second two did the smaller, 5 micron stuff. It worked quite well that way. The original system used just one and it clogged quickly! With the revised system new filters were installed maybe once in six months! This was on a 50 foot well.

Comment

Your pump is controlled by a pressure switch that is mounted in your pressure tank. It would not be advisable to install any device between the pump and the pressure tank which might effect the pressure and thereby cause a false control signal to your pump.

You are correct that some sediment from the well might get into your pressure tank, however once in the tank it will generally settle to the bottom of the pressure tank and most tanks have a drain valve on the bottom to periodically permit flushing the sediments out of the tank.

I am not a big fan of whole house water filters because filter medium is relatively expensive and not all water consumed in the house really needs to be filtered.

If you have a well and if it is known to have sediment problems I would strongly encourage the installation of smaller "point of use" water filters at those locations where the water is likely to be consumed by humans such as at the kitchen sink, your refrigerator ice maker supply, a bar sink and at bathroom lavatories where we commonly use the water for brushing teeth or just getting an occasional drink of water when go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Statistically speaking, on average a 3br home will consume about 300gal of water per day, however only about 25 to 30gal of that water is ultimately ingested by humans. The remaining portion of that water is typically consumed by dish washing, laundry, showers, flushing toilets, scrubbing floors, process water for HVAC equipment or for outdoor irrigation or other non-potable uses through an outdoor hose bib. Now some might argue that the water used for dish washing is sort of indirectly consumed but it must also be remembered that the water used in the dishwasher is fundamentally sanitized by the soap or rinsing agents used during the process.

Comment

What about the sediment settling in the front load washing machine or the dishwasher, those pumps are designed to pump out water only ?
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Guys,

I've got hard water, but I hate the slimy feeling. That was the reason I was looking at just a sediment filter. But after speaking with a friend of mine, I'm thinking getting the WaterBoss. It's a water softener, but they say it filters sediment too.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =