Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floor Drain in slab (basement)

Does all the houses waste water go to this area? If you look in you can see the water level only a few " down. Would it be ok to syphon dirty fish tank water right into this floor drain?

Thanks

The water level you are referring to is most probably a P Trap. Some older floor drain set ups drain from there to a perimeter drain. Mostly now they drain directly to the main drain line.
    I can see no reason why the fish tank water couldn't be drain here regardess.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

While you are in the basement look around and locate where the drain line from the floor above comes down. If that pipe extends down into the floor then it is safe to assume that your house "Main Drain" is under the basement floor. In that case it would also be fair to assume that your basement floor drain is connected straight to the house main drain.

If the line from the floor above stops at any point above the basement floor, then turns horizontal and goes out through a basement wall the floor drain will then be most likely connected to a footer drain or a sump pit. In this case i would prefer to discharge any waste water into a sink.

Comment

Poster had a previous post regarding installation of a shower stall in the basement, where he needed to cut out the basement floor to connect the drains. So I assumed it was the same home.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Yup, you're right.

My main drain pipe is about 1' from the drain I am questioning. My basement bathroom is underneath the concrete. I guess I should have known that the floating water is just from a trap. Same rules apply to a larger main drain, right? Have to stop sewage gas some how. I have dumped my dehumidifier water in this drain before with no issues. I was draining my fish tank water into a laundry sink but since the hose went to the floor and back up the syphon was very weak. If I can keep the hose on the ground all the way the syphon is pretty strong.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X
          =