Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copper pipes incontact with other metals??

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper pipes incontact with other metals??

Currently finishing my basement. In the process of insulating and covering things up I have noted that in a few instances copper pipes running in the floor joists are in contact with galvanized sheet metal parts in the ducts and plenum of the furnace. Should I be concerned about trying to separate these if possible? Prompt replies would be appreciated...work stopped for this issue....thanks in advance...
    Tim

Tim,

Welcome to the forum.

I would separate the two dissimilar metals. There is a reaction between copper and galvanized leaving the galvanized less protected. Also though I would be concerned about noise being created or conducted from one to the other. Rubber pads or something similiar should work.

Good luck, Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'
    'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

Thanks Jim, will see if I can sqeeze something between the two...
      Tim

Comment

Hi,
        I just remodel my basement bathroom. I use Oatey's Pipe Support System Clamps. There are various types. Check out the link. I used the standard type and they were great.

Good luck,
        Handyhecx

Comment

How about those insulating sleeves that you cover water pipes with? Would prevent any condensate from messing up all your ceiling work, as well as insulate from other metals.....

Comment

Working...
          X
          =