Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offset Shower Riser Problem

Howdy, All ..
    Thanks to this list - and, in particular, LazyPup - I'm close to completing a small house for my daughter & granddaughter. But now I'm stuck again so back for help.

I'm installing a bath/shower combo. My problem is with the shower riser. LazyPup's illustration (see attached jpg file ShowerRiserStraight) is what it's supposed to look like. However, because the fibreglass tub surround is not flush up against the stud wall, the position of the mixer is slightly offset (1-2") from the riser. See attached jpg file ShowerRiserOffset).

How can I solve this? Ideas that come to mind include fabbing an offset with two 45-degree elbows or - even easier - two 90-degree elbows. That would require that I solder very close to the fibreglass which I'd rather not do.

Could I fab the offset as a single piece on the workbench & then connect it in place with, say, two compression fittings or two Shark Bite couplings?

Any advice appreciated. Sorry if this is a bit longish. BTW, I can send a jpg of the actual install if that would help.

Thx again ..
    John (luv2q)

you can do it with any hard drawn copper tubing type M or L. mark on the tubing where you want to bend it with a marker then use a propane torch and heat the area about six inches either way of the mark until its cherry red, then allow it to cool completely. then just bend a gradual angle in the tubing. the heating anneals the copper so you can bend it without kinks.

Comment

While the manufacturer of Shark Bite fittings claim code approval in their advertising, that claim is slightly misleading. Shark Bite fittings have received limited approval for low pressure application in HVAC piping but they have not yet been approved by the International Residential Code or Uniform Plumbing code for use on potable water distribution systems. On the other hand, even though they are not approved by the national model codes, that does not mean that they cannot be approved by the local code.

Having said that, we must then take the discussion to the next level. both Shark Bite fittings and Compression Fittings are mechanical fittings and code prohibits installing mechanical fittings in a a concealed location so once again we cannot use the shark bite or compression fittings in this application.

Bending the pipe in the manner suggested by Hayzee will work except for one minor point, it is prohibited by code however there is a simpler way to do basically the same thing. You could prefabricate the riser using type L or Type M roll copper which could be initially made in a straight piece with a thread adapter on one end and a drop ear 90deg elbow on the other. You could then apply pipe dope or PTFE tape on the thread adapter and screw it into the shower mixer then bend the riser to the finished offset by hand and secure the drop ear 90 to a stud or wooden bracing.

Another alternative would be to make the riser with CPVC pipe and a pair of 45deg elbows.

A third alternative and the one that I would recommend is get a good measurement of the required length of pipe then stop by your local neighborhood hardware store such as an ACE hardware or a True Value hardware. Most of the little hardware stores will go the extra mile for the customer and you could buy a short section of PEX and the required fittings and have them crimp a thread adapter on the bottom end and a drop ear 90 on the top end. The PEX tubing is flexible so you would have no problem installing your offset.

Comment

Thanks, HayZee & LazyPup .. I appreciate your time & suggestions.

Looks like I have a few more options than I thought I had. Will post a followup when I get the problem solved. The PEX approach looks pretty simple .. It's new to me so I'm anxious to look at that a little closer.

Thx again ..

John (Luv2Q)

Comment

Working...
        X
        =