Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaking ABS in a tight place......help!!!

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking ABS in a tight place......help!!!

Included picture of the dilemma that I have. Is there any other way of repairing the leak at the joint besides trying to cut it out and replace it? I'm limited on room because it is between floors. Thanks.
    Nate

Nate,

I don't think you have many options. I have tried various tapes and compounds to seal up leaks and have never been happy with them.

I would take the time and effort to cut that fitting out and put in two new couplers with a straight filler piece in-between. Be sure to clean the pipe and fittings well and don't scrimp on the solvent cement.

Good luck, Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

Thanks Jim. I gotta ask, when putting in the new piece I can obviously glue one coupler with it in my hands, but how do you install the 2nd coupler inline. I've done pvc sprinkler pipe before and had to bore out the coupler with a dremel so that I could slide it over the existing pipe and then glue the crap out of the thing and hurry and slide it into place before the glue dries. Does that make sense?

Comment

Nate,

I can see from the photo that once you cut the leaking fitting out you will not be able to slide the piece on the right any further to the right. Is there a long enough run to the left that you can bend it to allow the fittings in.

If so... I would cut the damaged fitting out along with an inch or so of the pipe on either side. Measure the new gap and cut a filler piece to fit in allowing for the two couplers. Clean and then glue the couplers to both ends of the filler piece. Clean and glue this assemble to the righthand. Allow this connection to set for a few minutes. Clean the pipe to the left and apply solvent, pull this bothe sides towards you so they create a V and allow you to slip the pipe into the fitting. This may be even easier if you make your new filler piece longer (up to half the length of the run to the left)

Good luck, Jim

Comment

Ok. Good luck to me. I need it. The pessimist in me is envisioning the pipe breaking further down the line when I pull on it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bossman

Included picture of the dilemma that I have. Is there any other way of repairing the leak at the joint besides trying to cut it out and replace it? I'm limited on room because it is between floors. Thanks.
            Nate
            Why do you want to glue it? Cut out the leaking coupler about two inches on each side. If it's tight getting in there, try a cable saw. Now get two fernco compression coulers that match the pipe size. (looks like 3"?) Slide each fernco back onto each side of the pipe that you have in the floor. Cut a new piece of pipe to fit the missing piece. Put it in place and slide the ferncos back over it and tighten the clamps.

Did you ever see OHM'S mother in LAW?...... SHOCKING!

Fernco couplers.....http://www.suburbanpond.com/fer.jpg
            <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

Thank you both very much for the response. I ended up finding the fernco couplers at Home Depot. I went that route and it was the easiest plumbing fix and it actually worked. Thank you Joe for the referral.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Bossman

Thank you both very much for the response. I ended up finding the fernco couplers at Home Depot. I went that route and it was the easiest plumbing fix and it actually worked. Thank you Joe for the referral.

good job!

Did you ever see OHM'S mother in LAW?...... SHOCKING!

I see that you used one ferno and one weld (glue) coupler....that'll work too.
                <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

Working...
                X
                =