Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water heater problems

My relatively new water heater started going out intermittently, at first once every few days then daily, then every time I light it. I tried leaving the door open in case it was not getting enough oxygen to keep the pilot lit, that did not work. I started to change the thermocouple, I took it all apart, the thermocouple I had was longer than I needed and it warned only qualified service technicians should remove the burner etc. So I cleaned the old thermocouple, hooked it back up along with the gas line and pilot tube line. and it lit right up first try, but went out after it heated. After a few days of lighting the water heater every i needed a shower, I decided to go ahead and replace the thermocouple with the one I have. Hooked it all up and now even the pilot does not lite.

If i take the pilot tube off, and hold down the pilot button I can smell & feel gas coming out where the pilot tube is belongs. I can blow air through the pilot tube so I know its not blocked. And I can see a spark from the igniter. The pilot & igniter are in the same place they were in relation to each other as far as I can tell?

What am I missing? Or what should my next step be?

where is the water heater located? cellar? attic? what state are you in?

Comment

I live in a manufactured home in California, the water heater is in a small closet with access from outside.

Comment

check to see that the smokestack is clear and there's enough draft to remove the exhaust gases from the unit. three inches is minimum for a stack. the thermocouple is of the millivolt generator type - it generates a 750mv signal voltage to keep the pilot valve open. have your utility check your input pressure. should be around 2 lbs pressure give or take.

Comment

If you check the thermocouple and it is working fine and you water heater still wont stay on call the company who made it and tell them what its doing. It may have a bad gas valve or it could be one that has a one time sensor built in to it that if that water gets too hot it will trip and wont reset, Most new water heater come with 5 and sometimes 10 years give or take

Comment

What brand is the WH?

Comment

Working...
            X
            =