Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet Tank fills very slowly; Bowl doesn't fill

When I flush the toilet, the water in the tank emptys into the bowl just fine. However, this is is when the problems begin.

The water to fill the tank up comes in barely at a trickle and takes a long, long, long time to fill up the tank. In addition, no water at all is dispensed from the refill tube into the overflow pipe. As a result, the bowl does not fill with water.

However, if after I flush the toilet, I shut off the water supply to the tank for about 5 minutes or so and then turn it back on, the water comes into the tank and bowl at a normal rate.

This appears to be some sort of water pressure or pipe clog problem??
    By the way, the water pressure in the shower and sink is just fine. Also, the toilet at the other end of the house works just fine.

Any suggestions?? I don't think replacing the inside of the tank will do anything since it works just fine when the water supply is turned off and on after 5 minutes.

Clean out the tube that goes to the overflow. Sounds like a pressure problem. The reason it fills quickly after it is shut off is because the pressure buids back up at the valve.
    Place to start, anyway.

Did you ever see OHM'S mother in LAW?...... SHOCKING!
    <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

If there is a pressure problem at the water valve to the the tank, is this most likely a problem for the plumber?? Thanks in advance for the help.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Caro Kann

If there is a pressure problem at the water valve to the the tank, is this most likely a problem for the plumber?? Thanks in advance for the help.
        What type of pipes do you have? Copper? Galvanized?
        If galvanized there is probably debris (rust, grit) in the pipes and it accumulates at the stop valves that supply the toilet, faucets, etc. which in turn restricts pressure.
        Could also be dirt in the fill valve inside the tank.
        Also your turning the water supply off and then back on would loosen any dirt in the supply valve, so I'm thinking that's the problem.
        If you feel comfortable doing this, you should turn the supply valve off, disconnect the supply tube that goes to the bottom of the tank fill valve, place it in a bucket and slowly turn the supply valve back on to clear out the dirt. Then let it run for a few minutes. Depending on the condition of the supply tube you may have to replace it to reconnect it to the tank.
        And yes, a plumber would be the one to call.

<i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

sounds to me like a bad fill vaulve.
          its quick and simple to replace.and once replaced it should salve the problem.TAZ

nuthing like being woken up at 12:AM to unstop some one elses toilet.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by irregularjoe

Clean out the tube that goes to the overflow. Sounds like a pressure problem. The reason it fills quickly after it is shut off is because the pressure buids back up at the valve.
            Place to start, anyway.

theres a rubber "plunger"(I think is the correct term)inside the fill valve.I'm not possitive how it works, but if that plunger dont work right.it locks in the "tank full" possission and the water comes in at the base of the fill tube. when the water pressure is shut off the line pressure bleeds into the holding tank and the plunger falls into the "tank empty" possission. so when the water is turned back on the toilet fills normaly. hope this helped.TAZ

Comment

Thanks for all the good advice. I meant to post this earlier, but the problem was in fact the fill valve. I replaced it in 10 minutes, no more problems. Thanks once again.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =