Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repairing PVC Drain Pipe

I have a 3" vertical PVC drain pipe that was pierced by a support bracket for a closet shelf system. The problem wasn't noticed until the upstairs bathroom had been used for a couple of months and mold became visible on the closet drywall.

The hole is 1/4" and do to the pipe's location against a wall stud the builder's plummer is planning on repairing it with what he calls "glue." I am not confident that this is a permanent solution to the problem and I am wondering what I should accept as a minimum standard for this repair. What options exist for this type of repair?

mph

Since this is a DRAIN pipe, and not a SUPPLY pipe, It should be a permanent repair providing the PROPER "weld " glue is used. This won't be the first time a damaged pvc DRAIN pipe was repaired with a solvent glue. No problem. Hube

Comment

Here is the picture of his damage...

Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'
      'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

Glue could work, but if it were me I would cut out a six inch section of it and put in a repacement piece using two fernco couplers.
        You'd have a bigger drywall hole to patch afterward, but it would be a better fix.

Did you ever see OHM'S mother in LAW?...... SHOCKING!
        <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

That is quite common. "Glue" should be just fine as the line is not under pressure. You can even use a constuction adhesive (I have used polyurethane) and DIY. [8D]

Comment

WOW! That looks EXACTLY!! like the job I did on mine! (Who'd have guessed the upstairs drain would be EXACTLY!! on center with the downstairs toilet?!) I used a circle cutter on the drywall, doped in some 'Plumber's Goop', replaced the circle and patched it up. Been over six months with no problems.

Comment

Oddly enough I did the SAME EXACT THING in my laundry room. It was a wire weld shelf and I put a support screw right into the pipe. Hole leaked about 6 months later. The pipe is 3" and not under any real pressure so I just plugged it with the plastic support and then used PVC cement and cut the nubb flush. Not a leak since. I think the only reason I even saw the water stain was because there were two showers going at the same time upstairs.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =