Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet problem going from bad to worse!

1. I noticed a "hiss" in the toilet. I removed the flapper & it was really bad so replaced. I decided to change the inlet valve. Problems! I can't get the old one out the pipes underneath seem to be frozen together so I can't just pull the thing up. Then, the overflow valve where the overflow tube fits into broke off. It was all corroded.

So... is there a simple way to unseize the pipes so I can remove the inlet part from inside the toilet tank?
    2. Do I have to take off the tank to replace the overflow assembly?
    3. I'm thinking maybe the problem was just the flapper & I shouldn't have started doing anything else until I was sure, but that's too late now.

Thanks for any help. It's about a 30 year toilet, little used in the basement, tank & bowl in good condition. I had considered just shutting off the water to the toilet & forget it, as it's not really necessary that this time.

The overflow tube is part of the flapper seat so it needs to be removed. Go to your big box store and get a new tube, two brass closet bolts, brass nuts and rubber gaskets, a new tank to bowl seal [soft rubber neoprene] it all should come with the necessary gaskets and new plastic nut. the inlet valve is called a ballcock. if its all really corroded you may need a hacksaw with a 28 or 32 tooth per inch blade. a dremel motorized tool with an abrasive cutoff wheel will help considerably because the nuts under the bowl lip are recessed. best to cut the bolts off inside the tank. you really don't want to use a chisel here.

Comment

I removed the tank from the toilet bowl with not much trouble. And, have cleaned off the rubber seal from the bottom.
      Question - It appears like the only way I can did off the Overflow base of the valve that broke off is to remove (unscrew) the brass like thing that connected to the toilet bowl. Am I correct? And How can I loosen it so it will unscrew? Thank you.

The tank is now empty except for that base part that I can't figure out to remove. The rest has finally been removed! Thanks for any assistance.

Comment

please take a look under the PLUMBING forum section dated 11-16-2007 through 11-20-2007. Lazypup has drawn a few diagrams on the overflow and flapper item. Real old water closets had the tank on the wall with a 2 inch outlet brass elbow coming into the toilet bottom with an expansion rubber bushing and a nut on it. the elbow was flanged so as you tightened the nut it would expand a rubber bushing against a shoulder inside the porcelain part of the toilet base.

Comment

will do, thanks

Comment

Working...
          X
          =