Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Softening caulk/putty

I didn't know where else to post this, so if it needs to be moved so be it.

Some years ago I installed two plastic splash guards at each end of the tub surround. These were held in place by a hard setting caulk/adhesive.

Well, the guards are removed and it's time to remove the old caulk. I was hoping for some chemical approach which would soften the caulk and yet not damage the tub material.

I've tried using a hair dryer to soften this stuff with heat but it takes a lonnnnng time to get anywhere.

Any ideas?

If we knew exactly what adhesive caulk was used there may be a solvent of some type that could be recommended. Until then keep scraping. I usually use Phenoseal or, Polyseamseal in these applications. They can be removed faily easily but bond well.
    I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
    Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
    Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

That's the problem, it was long enough ago that I don't remember even where the stuff was bought - possibly one of those junk mail catalogs for the homeowner. I was just hoping there might be some general purpose item out there that won't eat the tub material.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

try a bit of lacquer thinner or acetone on a part of the tub that don't show. if the tub doesn't dull down or get soft then I guess its ok to try on the cement/caulk.

Comment

Denatured alcohol does a good job of softening up old caulk and making it easier to remove with a scraper and also removes soap scum so the new caulk will bond good. Redwood Ive never heard of phenoeseal before where do you get it and is it good
          Last edited by jnaas2; 03-02-2009, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Around here lots of places have it.
            It's cheap and it works!
            2 plus's in my book!
            PHENOSEAL Caulks and Sealants

Polyseamseal | The Biggest Name in Caulk

I really like the clean up with water caulks.
            I seldom use any silicone rtv product.
            I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
            Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
            Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
            Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Thanks for the Info

Comment

Originally posted by jnaas2 View Post
                Denatured alcohol does a good job of softening up old caulk and making it easier to remove with a scraper and also removes soap scum so the new caulk will bond good. Redwood Ive never heard of phenoeseal before where do you get it and is it good
                I have some alcohol around so I tried it. I wouldn't have thought of that. Thanks!

It does work, albeit somewhat slowly. I'm going to try to come up with some way to soak the stuff for awhile to save some labor. I'm thinking a strip of rag covered with saran or somesuch to keep the alcohol from evaporating too quickly.

I also have some acetone (nail polish remover) I'm going to try.

Comment

Tha acetone can eat some tub surrounds that are made of plastic or acrylic so do a test area to make sure. If its porcelain tub and ceramic tile you shouldnt have a problem

Comment

Originally posted by jnaas2 View Post
                    Tha acetone can eat some tub surrounds that are made of plastic or acrylic so do a test area to make sure. If its porcelain tub and ceramic tile you shouldnt have a problem
                    That's why I tried the alcohol first. Besides, acetone is just so repulsively potent. And, in a small space like a bathroom it could be unhealthy - not that alcohol is entirely benign.

Comment

Well, the alcohol works well enough that I'm not going to chance the acetone, since the material is acrylic/plastic.

It'll take awhile but, what I've been doing is wetting a strip of paper towel with denatured alcohol and laying it on the caulk. On top of this I place a strip of aluminum foil to keep the alcohol from evaporating and finally, on top of that a wet washcloth to keep the towel pressed against the caulk. It'll be interesting to devise some way of doing this on the vertical parts at each end.

Anyhow, an hour of this treatment seems to work well but two works better. It returns the caulk almost to its initial gooey state - soft enough to be wiped off with a kleenex.

To speed things along I took off some of the heaviest parts with a rotary file chucked into an electric drill. Tried the Dremel tool too and that seemed to work better - more control. This requires serious focus though to keep the tool from jumping and hitting or damaging the tub finish.

Thanks again for the assist.

Comment

Well, only a few more treatments and that old, nasty caulk will be history.

Thanks to all who took the time to respond!

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        =