Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caulking Tub Problems

I don't suppose this is really a plumbing question, but I couldn't figure out where else to put it. By the way, I know very little about home repair, so be gentle!

I have now calked my tub three times. The first two times were disasters, and so the third time, I carefully removed the old caulk. I let it air out for a couple of days as I live in a fairly damp climate. I used painter's tape against both the tub and the tile to create a clean line for the caulk. I made certain to fill the tub with water. I let it set for about 60 hours. I used caulk for tubs/bathrooms.

This was just over a week ago. Last night, I noticed the area (probably about 6 inches of the strip) directly under the shower head was no longer sealed. I touched a small area with my finger, and a 3-4 inch section of the caulk just slipped away.

This had happened before (the first two times I caulked the tub) but it was much worse previously. But obviously this shouldn't be happening! Any caulking tips?

The one thing I can think of is that I hand washed a t-shirt last night. I wrung it out pretty well, but I hung it over the showerhead, so it could have dripped. I realize that the caulk should still stay set, but still.

By the way, it appeared to be just fine for the first week.

why would you put water in the tub and let it sit there? when you remove the caulk this time let the surfaces dry out. just before you apply the caulk, heat the area with a hair dryer. use silicone caulk, clear or white. to smooth out any lumps or bumps wet your finger and draw it along in the caulk. the saliva won't let the caulk stick to your finger.

Comment

Thanks for your reply!

I put the water in the tub as many of the caulking tips information I read suggested to do that.

I let the tub dry out for 2 days before applying the new caulk and used a hair drier to make certain it was dry (then more than two days to let the new caulk set) and used my finger to smooth out the new caulk. It was a silicone-based caulk.

I'll try the hair drier trick while I'm caulking.

Comment

I still don't know what the water in the tub is for?

Comment

It weighs down the tub while the caulk dries so that when you use the tub your weight won't pull on the seam. Several sites I read recommended I do this.

I was very careful not to get any of the water in the tub on the area I was caulking. I even filled the tub with a bucket to avoid the spigot dribbling on the tub's rim. So that shouldn't have impacted the caulk's drying.
          Last edited by tessajae; 04-01-2009, 02:24 PM.

Comment

I would fill the tub and use Polyseamseal caulk...
            Let it dry 24 hours...

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
            Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
            Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
            Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

annnnnddddd, clean down the area to be caulked with an alcohol pad or a little nail polish remover on a rag and let it dry, just to remove any soap scum that might be there.
              100% silicon doesn't care if you hang a wet T-shirt above it.
              Last edited by pushkins; 04-01-2009, 07:28 PM.
              Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
              Every day is a learning day.

Comment

You can clean the area with denatured alcohol too, it cleans soap scum and dries very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by jnaas2 View Post
                  You can clean the area with denatured alcohol too, it cleans soap scum and dries very quickly.
                  That is what I would use.
                  I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
                  Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
                  Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
                  Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =