Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FloodSafe hoses - ??

I recently replaced the old supply hoses my two toilets and washing machine with the Steel Braided FloodSafe hoses. All work fine EXCEPT one of the toilets. The toilet makes sounds like a submarine pinging... I have open the supply valve fully open, and even replaced the insides of the toilet tank but the sound continues.. Has anyone else experienced this strange noise?

Ive never heard of a flood safe hose , Who makes it and where can I buy one

Comment

jnaas - all it is - is a calibrated orifice that, if a certain flow rate is exceeded, say a ruptured hose, the check valve shuts preventiong a flood in your house.
      What's New | Watts FloodSafe Auto-Shutoff Connectors for Washing Machines, Toilets, Faucets, Icemaker, Dishwasher

Comment

Watts Floodsafe?

Trust me you need to avoid these like the plague!

They are prone to false trips when the pressure is borderline high, they also will not activate for any leak short of a burst hose which considering they are on a No-Burst hose is ridiculous.

The Floodsafe supplies for dishwashers, toilets and faucets also have a weakness where the 3/8" compression connection meets the Floodsafe valve that has on several occasions that I know of has failed causing extensive water damage to a home...

I'm not sure if the icemakers have this weakness but they are also prone to false trips...

For some time I have been posting telling people to avoid Watts Floodsafe supplies for Toilets, Faucets, Icemakers, Dishwashers, and Washing Machines.

I have been posting telling of how I had a customer have one break at the compression connector to the Floodsafe Valve connection point causing a lot of water damage to his home.

The day I did that job I did not have a camera with me to get a picture of the evidence. The Floodsafe Supply was not installed by me as I was already avoiding them because of the nuisance trips that are fairly well known to happen with them. The supply was retained by the customer as evidence.

Recently a person seeing one of my posts on this connection failure E-Mailed me photo's of the same thing happening at his house. A Watts Floodsafe Dishwasher Supply failed at the same connection that I was talking about. The connector was not over tightened, 1/3 of a turn with the wrench and the compression connector was turning by hand, pressure was 70 PSI. the valve just blew apart on it's own flooding the house and causing about $25K in damage maybe higher if the entire wood floor has to come up or, just the kitchen portion.

In his own words, "I think the valve was poorly manufactured or damaged during manufacture. Like I said before, no freeze, no physical damage I could see. Just blew all by itself. Bury Watts all you want, this product is crap."

Here is a picture of the failed connector under the sink.

Here is a picture of the failed connector. Note how the connection between the compression fitting and the safety valve is where the failure occurred. This left the compression fitting on the stop valve spraying water while the safety valve blew off.

Here is a picture of the label on the failed Watts Floodsafe Dishwasher Supply.

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
        Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
        Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
        Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

This is a picture of the flooded kitchen hardwood floor.

This is a picture of the ceiling below the kitchen prior to demo.

And this is the picture of the same area after demo.

Well, what do you think of Watts Floodsafe now?
          Last edited by Redwood; 04-08-2009, 12:41 AM.
          Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe

Comment

Thanks for the info Red...
            Is it beer thirty??

Comment

Thanks for the info, I havent flooded anybodys house yet and would prefer not to

Comment

Here is a picture of the failed connector.

On the part on the right there is a looks almost like a brass wire that locks the compression end on. it is a farly small diameter. The groove on the compression fitting that the wire locks into shears off.

Now I can Plumb!

Comment

I have one for my dishwasher. I was shaking my copper line because I was sweating on a Tee on a seperate near by line and it snapped off. I heard water flowing so I ran upstairs and water was gushing from under the sink. I could not figure out why it snapped off. It cost a lot so I pushed it back on and it made a "click" sound. I never touched it again, I guess I should replace it ASAP!

Comment

I would!
                    If that thing pops off while you aren't home it will be ugly...
                    Now I can Plumb!

Comment

Well, this little replacement is turning out to be a big ordeal. I was going to replace my supply hose but while I was moving the dishwasher out a little the discharge housing broke its seal and the water that was sitting in the discharge tube started leaking. This is the plastic part where the discharge hose connects to and joins that to the bottom of the dishwasher. I took the whole unit out and removed this housing (you twist it 90 degrees and it then pulls out). There is a rubber o-ring but it had silicone caulk on it too. I am thinking I will try to get a new o-ring and then use RTV silicone gasket maker. The problem was I was using a radiator type hose for the discharge line. It was so stiff and un-flexible that when I moved the dishwasher it pushed on the housing enough that the silicone caulk broke its seal. I think I will go to the plastic corrugated type hose that is much more flexible and won't push on the housing as much. Any ideas on replacing the o-ring and any sealant so it will not leak? Why was there silicone in it in the first place, shouldn’t the o-ring seal it enough by itself?

Comment

A picture would help...
                        Now I can Plumb!

Comment

I’m not at home to take a picture but it is similar to the one below. You see the area I circled in yellow? That is the housing that the discharge hose connects to. The housing then is inserted and twists 90 degrees to attach to the rest of the dishwasher (that is where the o-ring and silicone caulk was).

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          =