Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kohler 2-handle shower cartridge removal

Any clue on how to remove a two-handle Kohler shower cartridge that does not have the captive nut to unscrew?? This is a model with plastic stem extensions that screw into internal threads in the brass casting.

Trust me!
    It's a little deeper into the wall but they do have a nut surface to remove the stems.

Kohler Plumbing

Make sure you replace the seat as well.
    I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
    Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
    Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Thanks, but I think my cartridge is different. It's the type with a square handle stem instead of the splined one in your image. Mine looks like the 7661 type of cartridge. The part of mine that your image has the packing nut on is plastic and the stem inside that is plastic. The operating stem sticking out of the cartridge is plastic and is square, not splined. The hole left in the shower liner is too small to allow a socket to go over the brass part with internal threads into which the plastic stem extender screws. I can neither see nor feel any nut-like flats there. Is there possibly a cartridge retainer similar to what Moen uses?

Comment

I had to use a router to enlarge the stem hole the installers left in the shower wall to determine there was a wrenchable surface to remove the bonnet nut and extract the cartridge.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

I thought you would find it there...
          I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
          Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
          Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
          Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =