Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some good tricks and advice to find a leak.?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are some good tricks and advice to find a leak.?

My friend have a slow leak somewhere in his hot tub and he can't determine where it is coming from. Cabinet is very wet on the floor. Not any pipes feel wet. It seems to leak more when used. Are there any tricks to finding this out?

Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated.

no real trick to finding this out. take the cabinet off as the pipes go all around the tub. it should stand in its foots. add some blue food coloring to the water and start the pump then look at where the pipes go through the wall. the ring that supports each "jet" unscrews from inside the tub. the "eyeball" has a "o" ring that goes around it. look for a broken "o" ring.

Comment

Well I'll tell you I do have a trick that I use.
      1/2 the battle with leaks is seiing where they are coming from without tearing the place apart.

I often thought if only I had an eyeball that I could take out and hold in remote locations to see where the leak is...

Well this is the next best thing...
      Check the link below.
      RIDGID
      I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
      Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
      Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
      Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

that site doesn't show you much in determining WHERE a leak is most likely to be. it has helps for a lot of other stuff.

Comment

Did you click the Ridgid link?

The Micro Explorer inspection camera is a great tool for finding leaks.

Last edited by Redwood; 05-31-2009, 10:38 PM.
          Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe

Comment

nothing wrong with the site but who's gonna want to shell out hundreds just to find ONE leak? the price of it doesn't justify the means.

Comment

Yep,
              I guess thats what separates the pro's from the rest...
              When I go looking for a leak I try to pinpoint it with the least amount of collateral damage. Then once located open things up where needed to repair it...

How much drywall, painting, and tile work does it take to pay for itself?

Opting for the less expensive See-Snake Micro will run you about $200.
              Last edited by Redwood; 06-01-2009, 12:17 PM.
              Now I can Plumb!

Comment

Now don't start pulling punches here. I'm just as much a professional as you but in a different field. Your average "joe homeowner" isn't gonna spend what a "pro" would for one problem. I have greenlee hydraulic knockout punches, greenlee clamp around ammeter, tripplett analog meters and a simpson 470 digital ohm meter. "joe homeowner" is ok using a radio shack ohm meter.

Comment

I'm not pulling punches. It's just access on these tubs can be somewhat limited at best and at some point using pro grade equipment may actually save time and money.

As Dirty Harry told the lieutenant in Magnum Force, "A good man always knows his limitations."
                  Now I can Plumb!

Comment

Hayzee's right on the mark. The OPr, like me, is looking for tips-he's an average joe. Common-sense help is hard-to-find. And Really appreciated.

Comment

You may try a mechanics inspection mirror to get a look into the hard to access areas. I do agree that for a DIYer to spend money on pro grade equipment is not practical. But then again so is tearing out walls and ceilings to see into hard to access areas.

Now I can Plumb!

Comment

posting is about a free standing hot tub. nothing is mentioned about it installed in a wall corner [albeit sheetrock to tear out!]

Comment

Ah yes I missed that...

I'm sure everything will be right out in the open and asy to see then...
                          Now I can Plumb!

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          =