Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solenoid valve....

A family member is in the stages of Alzheimers. It's happened often enough that he leaves their tea kettle on the gas stove to the point of burning it out. I'm wondering....is there a solenoid controlled gas valve that I could install for her so she can turn it on when she needs it, but keep it off without Mr. Alzheimers knowing about it? It might frustrate him, but at least he won't burn down their house.

A PARAGON or TORK in-the-wall, turn to activate timer can be installed to operate a solenoid gas valve in line with the stove supply. But now you have the problem of getting the user to MANUALLY set the timer, operate the burner knob. The type of timer I'm speaking about are the types used in hotels in the bathroom for the overhead infrared heat and exhaust blowers. Turn to turn on and it mechanically counts backwards and shuts off -or- you go to the HOLD point and it keeps running. Turn to OFF to shut down. I imagine ASCO or GRAINGER sells a gas valve. I haven't checked. Now your gonna need a licensed gas fitter to install it.

Comment

Gas Valve....

Always something. Well, thanks for the help, HayZee. Yeah, the timer would not work for the lady while cooking. Also, if her Alzheimers husband saw her turning that switch, we'd be back to start again. Thanks again, HayZee.

Comment

First you have to consider the type of gas range they have. If the range has electronic igniters on both the surface burners and the oven you could use a gas cutoff, but if the range has any standing pilots you cannot turn the gas off without relighting the pilots every time you want to use the range.
        Last edited by LazyPup; 06-15-2009, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Solenoid valve

It is an igniter gas range, LayPup.

Comment

mrcaptbob - I was thinking - you could get an asco gas valve that operates off 24 volt and use a magnetic reed switch to activate it. she would need to have a small magnet placed somewhere "out of the way" and as inconspicuous as possible. she would then place the magnet near the reed switch to turn on the valve and operate the burner's knob to ignite and regulate the flame. when she leaves the area, take the magnet with her and the reed switch opens, shutting off the solenoid valve. there's no automatic way to do it. it'll always use some type of operator intervention to operate. not unless you use some type of retinal scan that operates off her eye signature only!

Comment

solenoid valve...

That retinal scan might work, except she'd have to take off her glasses. I don't think those scanners would work with the reflection....but, I sure like the idea of that magnetic reed valve! I will look into that, as it sounds like the perfect fix for this situation. You're a good thinker, HayZee. Thanks for sharing your invention.

Comment

solenoid for gas range

take a look at the following. the reed switch is the "pilot" component. it operates an ice cube relay which will handle the higher current of the asco valve. everything on the secondary side is fused by one fuse. I'd have to guess the total draw to be less than a 1/2 amp.

Comment

Gas vaLVE....

I love it! I'll present this option to my cousin tonight.
                  THANKS, HayZee!

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =