Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wash Machine drain

Why is there a max height for the standpipe 0f 42"?
    Longer better

Also for the 2" trap can it be placed in the basement?
    Ease of cleaning

Overflow pipe down to basement just in case?
    So the first floor doesnt flood, dump into workroom better

Any thoughts?

If the trap is located outside the wall it must be accessable in the same room. Also in addition it is good to get the building codes from your LOCAL inspector for the projects, that way it won't be guess work when your doing a number of projects

Comment

Trap location

Ok soo its sounds like more of a code violation then functionality point.

Lets ask this another way.

No trap at all,
      Sealed point for washer drain into 2" Y pipe. Other side of Y connected to a cheater air valve. This would not allow sewer gas in the house. The gas would be trapped by the valve and the washer disharge pump.

No trap to clean

I know, check local codes.

Comment

"If the trap is located outside the wall it must be accessable in the same room"

That is not necessarily true

If you are under the Uniform Plumbing Code (UPC) the trap is required to be in the same room and a minimum of 6" but not more than 18" above the floor. The top of the standpipe is then required to be a minimum of 18" above the water level of the trap but not more than 30" above the water level.

The standpipe, trap & drain line are required to be 2" diameter.

Under the UPC the maximum allowable total developed length of a 2" fixture arm measured from from the trap weir to the vent opening may not exceed 5'

Under the International Residential Code (IRC) the trap may be below the floor.

The top of the standpipe must be a minimum of 18" above the water level of the trap but not more than 42" above the water level of the trap.

The standpipe, trap & drain line must be a minimum of 2" diameter but not more than 3" diameter.

The total developed length of a 2" fixture arm may not exceed 8' from the trap weir to the vent opening.

Under both codes the proposed overflow pipe in your drawing would be code prohibited.

The reason for limiting the length of the standpipe is to control the velocity of flow through the trap. If the vertical line is too long the velocity of flow through the trap is too great and it results in a siphoning action that would suck the trap seal water out, leaving the trap dry and allowing sewer gasses to enter the structure.

In the original post you mentioned that you are limited to 42" on the input so I am assuming you are under the IRC.

I am attaching an illustration of the IRC code requirements

Comment

For most installations thats how it go's thats why I said check with the LOCAL inspector. Location is EVERYTHING and is over the national code. But that was great information you put there to help them out.

Comment

ok

I did pull the local codes and found what you mentioned.

Heres the problem I am having with the standpipe/trap opposed to the current dump into the laundry tub.

With the current Laundry tub design, you can visually see and change the lint filters on the washer outlet.

You can see the soap bubbles in the tub.

The homeowner wants some sort of overflow on this trap. The plan is to remove the Laudry tub and put in cabinets in this area along with new undercounter washer and dryer. The homeowner wants some assurance that the washer disharge will not come out of the stand pipe (attach it with clamps etc) and when the trap overflows for what ever reason the water doesnt come out of the stand pipe and run all over the wood floor into the kitchen. With the current laundry tub both of these problems are resolved by a visual check of the hose and the fact that when the drain starts to fill up with lint you can see it and clean it out. With the Standpipe design its all hidden.

Soo, what I proposed was to have an overflow into either a straight pvc pipe to the basement or a secondary trap.

Additioanlly the homeowners do not want to have to pull ther washer out from under the counter to have to clean or trap, nor would like to visually see this trap.

Location of trap i Understand has to be in the same room, why, I dont know, I guess ease and visual for inspector and new homeowners.

As a secondary question, what frequency if any will a 2" trap need to be cleaned out - if the answer is never then were ok, otherwise its unacceptable. Case in point most bathroom sinks trap the hair on the bowl area, most traps in these areas almost never to be touched.

Third question is soap bubbles, even with a max standpipe, can the soap bubbles comeout and ruin the floor? Thats another reason I proposed the sealed washer connection with an overflow to the basement.

The plumbing will happen one way or another, I would just like to stay at code and come up with some assurances or options for these concerns.

Thanks

Comment

Whenever theres a clog then the drain will have to be cleaned. As far as how often, it depends, but for my it has not been often in most of my calls. Also you shouldn't be having bubbles or water going on the floor. Its also good to have a 2 1/2 trap for laundry drains

Comment

i would certainly like to know where you get a 2-1/2" trap. Although they do make 2-1/2" pipe there is no 2-1/2" pipe listed as DWV compliant.

DWV pipe is 1-1/4", 1-1/2", 2" then it jumps to 3"

Comment

Thanks for all the input

As far an 2 1/2 trap I guess you can use sch 40pipe glue up your own.

I plan on the 2" trap with the 2" stack at wash machine height ~ 36"

Again thanks for all the input.

Buy the way I downloaded the 2006 Plumbing codes and I must say I hate the way its set up. I personally would like to have seen pictures and examples like what we are talking about. There could have been a general section on items like these, im sure theres not too much variation in what we are talking about.

Again thanks for all the help

Comment

I was wondering where the 2 1/2" trap was available as well?
                    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
                    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

PVC pipe is made to the Iron Pipe Standard (IPS) in sizes 1/2", 3/4" 1", 1-1/4". 1-1/2", 2", 2-1/2", 3", 3-1/2", 4", 5", 6", 8", 10", 12", 18" & 24" and with wall thicknesses conforming to IPS sched. 20. sched. 30, sched. 40, sched. 80 sched. 100, sched.120 & sched. 200.

All of the above pipe is labeled as conforming to ASTM (American Society of Testing & Materials) specification D-1785 for pressure piping applications, however for DWV (Drain,waste & Vent) applications we may only use PVC pipe that is specifically labeled as conforming to ASTM specification D-2665.

Under ASTM D-2665 ONLY SCHEDULE 40 in sizes 1-1/4", 1-1/2", 2", 3", 4", 6". 8". 10", 12", 18" & 24" are listed as approved for DWV applications.

PVC schedule 40 pipe in the sizes listed above will be listed as approved under both ASTM D-1785 & ASTM D-2665.

Note that there is no 2-1/2" or 3-1/2" and no wall thickness other than schedule 40 is listed as approved for DWV under ASTM D-2665.

Installers should all be aware of these facts because code clearly states that when installing the pipe it must be positioned in such a manner that the labeling on the pipe is clearly visible for inspection. If you install a pipe where the labeling is against a wall or upside down in a trench where the inspector cannot see the ASTM listing, he or she would be well within their legal authority to red tag your job, and in most cases they don't even tell you why.
                      Last edited by LazyPup; 10-14-2009, 02:21 AM.

Comment

2 1/2 inch drain line fellows. ha ha ha To many hackers on the pc. haha
                        Last edited by The Builder; 10-05-2009, 07:18 PM.

Comment

While there is no 2-1/2" PVC DWV pipe, it should be mentioned here that the code standard for a washing machine standpipe is a 2" trap & drain, however code will allow us to increase the size of a trap or drain by one nominal trade size, which means you could legally install a 3" standpipe, trap and drain line.

Comment

I don't know what neck of the woods you'll from. NO 2 1/2" drain pipe. ha ha. You wanna bet. And just for that I'll get you the other peice to go along with the pipe. ha ha.

Comment

Originally posted by The Builder View Post
                              I don't know what neck of the woods you'll from. NO 2 1/2" drain pipe. ha ha. You wanna bet. And just for that I'll get you the other peice to go along with the pipe. ha ha.
                              We'll have to get Charlotte Pipe to start making it...

Charlotte Pipe Dimensional Drawing Catalog DWV Plastic Pipe

Charlotte Pipe Dimensional Drawing Catalog Cast Iron

Good luck with your bet!
                              You'll need it!
                              I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
                              Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
                              Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
                              Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =