Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washing Machine "drain"

Washing machine was installed in apt next door - my apt was plumbed at the same time (common wall). I did not install a washing machine - hook ups are there and ready. When next door does a hot wash - my side fills up with hot steam - like a sauna - how do I plug (or whatever) the drain to stop that?
    (landlord is new and doesn't think a plumber needs to be called! But steam is causing paint damage)
    Thanks.

As far as the steam coming out of the drain pipe, you can install a temporary test cap to plug it.

Comment

There is no pressure driving that steam, it is merely rising because of the difference in air density caused by the temperature.

Under normal circumstances any steam attempting to rise on your side would be instantly condensed by the water in your trap, however since you are not using the standpipe on your side no doubt the water in the trap has dried out.

The simple solution would be to pour a pint of water in your standpipe about once a month to insure the trap stays full.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =