Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loud noise when washing machine cycles

My house is apprx. 20 years old. When my washing machine is changing cycles like when it fills up and starts to agitate, there will be a loud thud type noise and the house kind of vibrates. I have gone into the crawl space and made sure the water pipes are supported and not just hanging there loose to jar around but that didn't seem to be the problem. My washing machine did not make any noises before and I put new hot and cold lines on it when I moved. Is there a problem with the plumbing or ????
    Thanks, Tracy

Nicole,

You sound like you are having fun with this new house! Have you tried placing your hand on the wall behind the washer as it cycles. You will probably feel a pipe slamming in a stud or header as the water shuts off.

If it is pipe hammering then you will need to install either an expansion tank (arrester) or a pipe riser to cushion the hammering.

A short term solution would aslo be the close down the valves feeding the washer so that it takes longer to fill but reduces the chance of pipe hammer.

Good luck, Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

Thanks! I will give it a try.
      quote:
      You sound like you are having fun with this new house! Have you tried placing your hand on the wall behind the washer as it cycles. You will probably feel a pipe slamming in a stud or header as the water shuts off.

If it is pipe hammering then you will need to install either an expansion tank (arrester) or a pipe riser to cushion the hammering.

A short term solution would aslo be the close down the valves feeding the washer so that it takes longer to fill but reduces the chance of pipe hammer.

Good luck, Jim

Comment

Working...
      X
      =