Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shower drain problems .....

hello .... i woke up this morning to a wet spot on my basement ceiling....after further investagation i found out it was coming from my shower drain...... heres a few pictures i took.... as u can see the piece of abs pipe is lose and u can push it up and down pic 3....how should i go about resealing the connection ???? im a total newbie thats why i joined this site ...thanks
    Last edited by espcrowe; 03-07-2010, 06:29 PM. Reason: spelling

It looks like you have pretty good access to the fitting if you can pull it apart completely it would be ideal, brush on some cleaner to where the fitting join on both the pipe and the fitting, when the area is dry (60 seconds) apply a coat of glue to both surfaces then quickly push the two back together and hold them together for 30 seconds....job done.
    The glue and cleaner are available at Lowe's and H/Depot and all hardware stores in little tins, just make sure the outside of the tin says for ABS use.

If you cannot get the two apart easily then pull them as far apart as you can, wipe them clean and apply the cleaner and glue as mentioned above to the pipe section, push it back in and hold it there for 30 seconds. Not ideal but should work just as well.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

I like these a lot!

Davke© "The Dream Drain"
      I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
      Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
      Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
      Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

i really dont have good access i can only get one arm in but im going to give it a try.... how much glue should i use ???..thanks for your help....

Comment

Hey Redwood, where do you get them from all I find is the plumber/inventor in W.A and their web page but no purchasing details.

Comment

use an abs plastic cement with solids. the black pipe is an indicator for this.

Comment

The little tin of glue you will buy has an little sponge attached to the inside of the lid, just smear the glue all the way around the pipe where it slides back inside the fitting, kind of like a heavy greasing of a baking pan. Too much is a better option than too little or worse not covering all the way around the pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
                Hey Redwood, where do you get them from all I find is the plumber/inventor in W.A and their web page but no purchasing details.
                I brought the info to my local supply house and they started carrying them...

Sioux Chief makes a similar product...
                Sioux Chief

I think one of the biggest problems we face on the shower drains is not being able to get the nut securing the drain to the shower base tight because of flooring and joists in the way. The jacking screws eliminate clearance problems, The Davke 300 I like over the other versions with the rubber compression connection because alignment to the drain is less critical. the drain the op has posted appears to have an alignment problem as well.
                Last edited by Redwood; 03-07-2010, 10:27 PM.
                I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
                Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
                Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
                Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

reglued the abs pipe to the drain and the leak is gone..... thankyou for your help .......

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =