Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emerson Garbage disposal

My disposal just hums. I know it may be burnt up, but wanted to try reset first and can't find a reset button???
    Thanks

If it if humming it doesn't need resetting.
    Try turning it and see if it unjams...
    If it spins freely and still hums then it's toast and you need a new one....
    I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
    Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
    Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

in the bottom of it look for a recess in the motor shaft. it may be square or hexagonal shaped. with power off, see if you can turn it. if it turns freely, try running it. if it still just hums - time to get a new one.

Comment

Emerson E100 Garbage Disposal

My garbage disposal run for about a second and then quit. I confirmed that it still has power (no blown breaker), and pressing the reset button doesn't solve the problem.

Any ideas?

Comment

with power going to the "hog" and it doesn't spin, and the motor shaft is free to spin, the start winding is toast and the whole unit needs replacement.

Comment

I am by no means an expert in the field but ours stopped working for about a year after someone let a small glass go into it and then.....you guessed it. After painstakingly taking out all the glass pieces it worked ok for a few weeks and then the dreaded hum. I toggled it on and off but it just hum.

We left it alone for about a year or so and then one day I got this ingenius idea and went under the sink and just banged the outer unit with a rubber mallet a few times and then went to the basement and turned the circuit breakerback on and...Voila!!! she works again.
            My wife thinks I am a genius!!!!

Comment

The key here is if it spins freely and hums it is a dead one.

If it doesn't spin free then it is jammed or, seized up...

Jammed you can fix, seized you can't...

Emerson Disposers will take an allen wrench in the bottom to spin them.
              They are the same as the Insinkerator units.
              Last edited by Redwood; 05-16-2011, 05:04 PM.
              I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
              Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
              Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
              Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

some disposals [I think Emerson is one of them] that uses a permanent magnet field and a commutator and brushes. therefore there is no winding to go bad but the armature, the moving part, may be burned up or the brushes and waayy too short. you'll have to take it apart to find out which is yours.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =