Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dripping sound in wall?!

I'm not sure but I think I'm hearing a dripping sound in the wall near the toilet. If I listen against the wall I can hear the AC -- which is outside - I guess it's loud enough to reverberate through. But I also hear what sounds like dripping. I'm not hearing it anywhere else. Is this a leaky pipe? Or even condensation from an AC duct? Pressed and tapped on the drywall in the area and it felt normal. I'm not sure what we need to do - or if it's what it seems like it is. This forum was great in helping me identify and fix the last problem we had. Thanks!!

Is this "sound" upstairs or downstairs, if upstairs and it was leaking then there would be signs on the lower level ceiling, if it's downstairs and you have a crawlspace or basement then these would be areas to look for signs below the suspect area.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

We live in a one-story house. It's on a slab and there is no crawl space.

Comment

Okay, then if there was dripping internal to the wall you should be able to feel moisture at the base of the wall, the water has nowhere to go (into a crawlspace etc...) typically the drywall is the first giveaway it absorbs the water and very quickly shows damage or soft spots. You could remove a section of baseboard and look at the base plate (bottom of the wall studs) this will allow you to see if even a small amount of water is being absorbed by the wood. If there is carpet in the room behind this area or a closet investigate here as well, carpet will absorb water as well, you can carefully pull up the edge of the carpet just a little so you can see the subfloor, this is also another great place to see if any moisture is present.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Without evidence of water leaking I suspect an expanding pipe rubbing on wood.

It only happens when you run water right? Probably more with hot water usage.
          I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
          Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
          Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
          Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

It can also be the toilet tank leaking. Shutt the water to toilet and flush it, then remove any water from the bottom of the tank then see if you still hear the dripping noise.

Comment

My case is when heating is on and after water circulates, I am hearing the possible dripping sound. But definitely there is no leaking sign.

If it's caused the expansion and contraction, why the sound is so similar to (or the same as) water dripping sound?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Redwood View Post
              Without evidence of water leaking I suspect an expanding pipe rubbing on wood.

It only happens when you run water right? Probably more with hot water usage.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =